Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stuffing Kongs

(8 Posts)
PerfectlyChaotic Tue 22-Aug-17 22:44:45

My 4mth old puppy loves a filled kong and is already quite expert at unstuffing them. I currently feed some of her meals this way, but I'd like to be able to freeze some & use as longer lasting chew toys throughout the day to keep her mouth & brain busy, especially during time alone.
So how does it work? Zillions of recipes online but what is most suitable for puppies? And how do I work out how to adjust her food accordingly?!

slinkysaluki Thu 24-Aug-17 05:13:29

Peanut butter always a good one and good quality wet dog food then put in freezer, lasts longer and good for little teethers !

hometownunicorn Thu 24-Aug-17 11:53:37

I recently discovered that putting a few treats in and then an ice cube at the top (which sort of blocks the treats off, but they can lick down) keeps our dog busy for about 15-20 minutes. And is great if like me you're not organised enough to freeze kongs in advance.

We weigh out his food for the day in the morning and then just use handfuls of that for treats throughout so that he doesn't get too much.

ShaneBitchy Thu 24-Aug-17 12:01:44

Plain Greek yoghurt
Leftover roast chicken meat

Dottymum2 Thu 24-Aug-17 19:14:22

Primula cheese is a winner with ours!

PerfectlyChaotic Thu 24-Aug-17 19:22:26

Excellent suggestions, thanks. I've been using cream cheese & peanut butter...sometimes mixed up with her food allowance, sometimes on its own, sometimes with a couple of treaty things too!! So I'm along the right lines then smile The food that she has is fed in fairly tiny amounts, so tricky to use much as treats. I weigh her regularly anyway so we know how much to feed, so I guess keeping an eye on her growth & what's coming out the other end is a fine guage?!

Nifflerbowtruckle Thu 24-Aug-17 19:35:00

My vet suggested soaking the food in water (if it's dry food) putting that in the kong then blocking the holes with peanut butter and freezing takes a good while to empty them as the food is frozen too.

ShaneBitchy Thu 24-Aug-17 20:14:10

Cottage cheese is good too actually

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now