Talk

Advanced search

Older rescue dog - would you give a home to a dog 7yrs plus ?

(50 Posts)
frumpety Wed 16-Aug-17 15:52:32

Still looking for a rescue dog , although sporadically and I have come across a rescue group dedicated to re-homing older dogs and there as some gorgeous dogs on there , one I particularly like is 10.

DH was a bit hmm when I mentioned the age of the dog , mainly I think because he was devastated when our old DDog had to be pts . We were never considering a puppy or really anything under 2 , but having seen all these lovely older dogs , a lot of whom still have plenty of zest for life , I do wonder if an older dog would be a better fit for us .

Has anyone else given a home to an older dog ?

AnarchyKitty Wed 16-Aug-17 16:02:56

I have. 10 years old and lived to 17.
Will the rescue pay vets fees? It's hard to get insurance for older dogs.
Do it. And photos!

BLUEsNewSpringWatch Wed 16-Aug-17 16:12:54

I think oldies can be great pets but I'm put off by the insurance side - can't take out a covered for life plan on a dog over 7 (Or maybe it was 8?)

Jaimx86 Wed 16-Aug-17 16:20:10

I certainly would ❤️ Our rescue is now 9 and I would have her as she is - very, very playful still and full of life. I plan to get my next rescue from 'Senior Staffies'.

allfurcoatnoknickers Wed 16-Aug-17 16:29:41

Yes. In a heartbeat. I fostered a 9 year old dog, and it was a great experience. She loved being out and about, but didn't need loads of walking and was happy to spend her time puttering about the house and having cuddles.

She was adopted by a couple who we've become very close friends with, and they have no regrets. She fits perfectly into their life, and while she's just developed some minor kidney issues, the cost to them will be minimal.

My GirlDog is only four and a couple of years ago came down with the dog flu, and the insurance company refused to pay out angry boy dog is 18 months and he's going to have to have knee surgery the insurance won't cover, so they can cost you a fortune at any age...

horridhenrysdoggy Wed 16-Aug-17 16:31:08

Yes!

I'm a sucker for a grey muzzle and a wise eye.

frumpety Wed 16-Aug-17 16:40:29

www.oldies.org.uk/2017/simba-dunroamin-k9-rescue-fostered-south-yorkshire

This one is gorgeous

OliviaBenson Wed 16-Aug-17 16:42:36

Awww he's lovely!!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 16-Aug-17 16:48:50

Oh his face! What a sweetheart.

frumpety Wed 16-Aug-17 16:52:01

www.oldies.org.uk/2017/charlie-hounds-first-sighthound-rescue-fostered-yorkshire

This gentleman is adorable too .

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Wed 16-Aug-17 17:00:00

I've had 2, the first we got when he was 11 and we had him till he was 15. The current one we got when he was about 12 and is still fighting fit. No insurance, but we just have to live with the risk.

My oldies have been such a pleasure! Would have another in a heartbeat.

horridhenrysdoggy Wed 16-Aug-17 17:30:24

Must not click on links!!! No more dogs!

They are just lovely though smile

Bubble2bubble Wed 16-Aug-17 19:34:51

I fostered a 10 year old dog recently and she was the loveliest, most undemanding houseguest. She was full of beans, loved her walks and had no health issues. She could easily be around in another 7-8 years.

BLUEsNewSpringWatch Wed 16-Aug-17 20:27:03

allfurcoat what insurance company were they with and what reasons did they give?!

ChardonnaysPrettySister Wed 16-Aug-17 20:30:45

I've insured older dogs from scratch, it's been fine.

frumpety Wed 16-Aug-17 20:44:16

Which insurer do you use Chardnonnays ?

frumpety Wed 16-Aug-17 20:45:31

I don't mind so much not being insured against chronic conditions , but if the daft bugger runs into a tree and breaks something , I would like to be covered smile

ChardonnaysPrettySister Wed 16-Aug-17 20:49:27

M&S.

whiteroseredrose Wed 16-Aug-17 20:54:29

Definitely. We have a much adored DDog who is 9. We've had him since nice a puppy as DS and DD were 8 and 5 when we got him.

Our next dog will be a rescue maybe whose owner is going into a home etc I prefer calmer older dogs!

picklemepopcorn Wed 16-Aug-17 21:07:09

Older dogs are lovely. Sometimes you can get insurance through the rescue centre.

They are easier to settle in than a young dog.

It helps to be clear that you won't pay for extended expensive treatment for an older dog. You have to know when to stop. My vet wanted to operate on my frail old boy. We decided it was better not to.

iseenodust Wed 16-Aug-17 21:09:55

Charlie looks gorgeous. If I didn't have work commitments I'd be fighting you for him.

BeakersofNaiceHam Wed 16-Aug-17 21:13:34

I love an elderly dog, but you have to be a special person as they may not live very long and could have expensive health problems. But it's a wonderful thing to give an old dog a nice retirement home.

pumpkinpie5 Wed 16-Aug-17 21:14:13

The rescue I work for (national charity) sends all dogs regardless of Ave, out with one month's free cover with pet plan. Because they work with us, pet plan will continue the cover for life even on an older dog- although if you got one privately they wouldn't let you take out a new policy on an older dog without costs being a lot higher or certain conditions being excluded. I know pet plan work with a number of rescues so I wouldn't anticipate insurance being an issue If you went with this route.

canihaveacoffeeplease Wed 16-Aug-17 21:20:32

Our rescue dog was 10/11 when we had him and we had him for 6 years. He was a wonderful dog, full of love, life and adventure, such a brilliant (grumpy!) character.

We expected to have him for 3 years and had him so much more, he enriched our lives no end, and was wonderful to the bitter end. He was so very loved! We still miss him endlessly and he died 5 years ago. His picture is in a silver frame on the mantelpiece .

We had children shortly after he died so never had another rescue dog or indeed any dog, and are waiting for dd2 (6 months) to get slightly older before we get another so they both understand how gentle they need to be.

Do it, it will change that dogs life for the better and hopefully yours too xx

BLUEsNewSpringWatch Wed 16-Aug-17 22:02:27

pumpkin that's interesting, so although petplan wouldn't allow me to just insure any older dog on a covered for life plan, if the older dog is coming from specific rescues, who work with pet plan, then I could still take out a covered for life plan? Brilliant. I'll have to look into that when DC and BluePup are a bit older and calmer. I had thought it was a no go for me (I can't bare the idea of having to make a medical decision on any an animal based on whether I can afford it or not).

When I was younger our family dog was a scruffy lurcher, who we adopted at 9ish. She was wonderful but had been in rescue 2years just because she was old, scruffy looking and big - yet she was beautifully mannered, kind, gentle but still energetic when we wanted to play.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now