Talk

Advanced search

Dog hair and washing machines!

(13 Posts)
wapsmahoney Wed 16-Aug-17 09:46:41

Does anyone have any tips/tricks to get dog hair out of the washing machine?!
While Im fully aware that dog hair is just part of owning a dog ... that doesn't annoy me ... I would however quite like the clean washing coming out of the machine to be dog hair free at least for a while!

Thanks! smile

Bubble2bubble Wed 16-Aug-17 14:59:43

I wash dog beds in a bag intended for horse blankets ( as recommended here and bought on Ebay - thankyou Mumsnet )
Before that I just had to run loads of empty cycles to try and flush out the hair. Being scrupulous about cleaning the rubber seal as well - a lot of it seems to gather there.

Floralnomad Wed 16-Aug-17 15:40:46

I also use a dog bag / horse bag , it's very large so plenty of room .

LimeJellyHead Fri 25-Aug-17 11:44:39

I find it all collects in the rubber seal around the drum. I just pick it out. If the machine load was really grim or I can see particles of dog hair and stuff in the drum, an extra cycle will sort it out but don't waste it... bung some of their toys in the machine. I machine wash all my dog's toys.... soft, plastic, rubber... in they all go. They all come out like new. Or if no toys need cleaning, so as to not waste a washing cycle, I bung my sandals and slippers in the machine smile

Shockers Fri 25-Aug-17 11:48:47

We bought a zipped, fabric bag from the pet shop.

Eleventybillionfucks Sat 26-Aug-17 02:29:29

Use a rubber glove along the seal to pick up all the stray hairs wink then do a hot bleachy wash to clean the drum out. We also brush our dog every few days with a furminator and keep a lint brush on hand for when she goes on sofas and rugs etc

CiderwithBuda Sat 26-Aug-17 02:33:00

We bought a second washing machine. I appreciate not everyone has space for that option! But it worked for us.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 26-Aug-17 20:35:06

Just ordered a jumbo horse wash bag. It's going to be brilliant for washing ddogs blankets, bed cover and towels.

ruthsmumkath Sun 27-Aug-17 15:35:21

VioVet sell dog bags for washing stuff in - works for me.

The hair stays at the bottom of the bag.

ReinettePompadour Sun 27-Aug-17 17:07:23

I use an old tea towel.

Wash your bedding as usual then do another wash with just the tea towel and disinfectant/powder/liquid.

The tea towel collects up any stray hair and I hang it on the line to dry and shake it/hoover it to get rid of the hair.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 01-Sep-17 21:53:48

Bag arrived today and comfortably fits 8 dog towels in it so far AND the added bonus is it can also go in the tumble dryer too! I haven't done a washing with it yet, hope it is as good as it looks as it will be brilliant over the winter for all ddogs muddy towels.

Busymumto2girls Tue 10-Oct-17 20:53:39

I'd really recommend a new product called 'Vamoosh' which removes dog hair in the washing machine when you wash your dog bed. . It does actually work too smile It means I can shove the dog bed in the washer and dryer with no hair left on either - and a lovely clean bed for my doggy too! I found it in my local pet shop but I think you can also find it online too from their website - vamooshcleans.com

Medeci Wed 11-Oct-17 09:04:56

I'd really recommend a new product called 'Vamoosh'
Think I'll give it a miss and carry on with putting stuff in the bag which works really well.
The vamoosh sounds like a good idea but it's bloody expensive shock and there's just one review on Amazon saying it doesn't work

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: