Talk

Advanced search

Does your dog chew rocks?

(13 Posts)
MeanAger Fri 07-Jul-17 20:14:04

Is that normal? Mine does. He lifts them out of my large planters and chews them then goes and lifts another one.

twoheaped Fri 07-Jul-17 20:18:19

Do be careful he doesn't swallow them, it can make for an extremely poorly dog and an expensive vets bill.

MeanAger Fri 07-Jul-17 20:20:01

They're big massive things. They don't even fit in his mouth. He hauls them out and accross the garden to his spot for a gnaw and then goes back for another one.

masterblaster2000 Fri 07-Jul-17 20:20:31

Yep. Between the ages of being a puppy and around 4 he used to eat stones and pebbles all the time. Then starve himself until he vomited them up a couple of days later. We removed all of our gravel but then he'd dig for them. He eventually grew out of it and hasn't done it for a few years now. He used to chew rocks and big stones too. He's staffy cross so got an urge to chew lots!

masterblaster2000 Fri 07-Jul-17 20:21:14

Have you tried the deer antlers to chew. They make a good rock substitute but much better for them!

MeanAger Fri 07-Jul-17 20:24:24

I'd never heard of deer antlers as a chew for dogs. Where can you get them? We actually have a venison farm near here, would they be likely to have deer antlers? Do they need to be treated before they are safe?

twoheaped Fri 07-Jul-17 20:29:13

Are they earthy? I know they say horses eat earth because they are getting minerals from it. Is it the same with dogs?
What breed of dog is he, I have visions of something the size of Clifford grin

twoheaped Fri 07-Jul-17 20:30:16

Deer antlers? Most pet shops stock them, not cheap though.

masterblaster2000 Fri 07-Jul-17 20:30:48

If you google it then lots of pet shops sell them. I think ours is called stag bar? Not sure re sterilising but they're rock solid so a great alternative!

MeanAger Fri 07-Jul-17 20:31:48

grin he is a bit like Clifford other than not being red! He is a golden retriever on the large end of the scale.

MeanAger Fri 07-Jul-17 20:33:10

The rocks are those yellow type ones. We have a building site at the back of our house and I collected them from around the earth they had shifted. So yeah, they are earthy grin

MeanAger Fri 07-Jul-17 20:34:07

Thanks for the antler recommendation.

eaturveggies123 Fri 07-Jul-17 20:47:25

Our Golden Lab does this! Carries round and chews massive rocks in our horse field. Also loves chewing brambles hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: