Talk

Advanced search

Settling in a new pup

(4 Posts)
FiddleFigs Fri 07-Jul-17 09:41:47

We bring our new pup home tomorrow. I've already been over to see him/play a few times but I know he'll be a sad and lonely without his siblings and mum for a few days. Please can I have your top tips for helping him feel at home and settled?

LumelaMme Fri 07-Jul-17 10:01:32

A blanket that smells of the dam and the litter.
Try and get him in the morning so that he has all day to get used to the absence of his litter mates before bedtime.

After a couple of hours of enjoying the full-on attention of the new humans, our last puppy was clearly baffled when she went looking for other puppies and found none. Unfortunately that was at bedtime, as she arrived in the evening, but we got past it and within 2 or 3 days she seemed to have totally forgotten that they had ever existed.

FiddleFigs Fri 07-Jul-17 10:06:01

Thank you Lumela. We pick him up at 10am (that was the latest I could wait!), so hopefully that will help.

laughingclouds Fri 07-Jul-17 10:35:44

Absolutely a blanket that smells right - if the breeder doesn't have one, take something with you to rub on them.

Somewhere safe for pup to sleep - we had a crate, but put a small snuggly basket and blankets in, something to snuggle up against.

In the end though, my partner spent three nights sleeping on the sofa until she got used to being on her own!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now