Talk

Advanced search

Housetrained 1 year old suddenly...not

(15 Posts)
elevenswan Tue 04-Jul-17 20:21:54

My dog is 1 year 3 months old and is, ahem, spirited. Aka really hard work. We've had some one-to-one training to deal with other issues, such as massive over-excitedness, destroying everything, jumping on strangers in the street and trying to love them to death etc. He's been house trained since about 5 months old with occasional accidents, maybe one every 2 weeks. He gets extremely distracted outside (in our small boring yard) and I have to watch him like a hawk repeatedly asking him to 'wee' before he'll do it.

The last few days he's been deliberately holding onto his wee and then doing it inside. He'll go 10 hours overnight and then I'll let him out in the morning and he won't go. I'll try to get him to go again at 9,10,11...today he finally went at 12 so he'd been holding it for 14 hours! He only didn't do it inside as I kept him in the living room and he won't wee in here. If he gets access to the dining room or my bedroom in particular he'll wee in there. They're his fave pee inside spots even though they've been cleaned with enzyme cleaner etc.

I have let him out 4/5 times since lunchtime and no wees. Just made him go out now and stayed out for 15 minutes with no wees. Back inside, i went up to my room and he immediately weed all over my bed. All over the duvet cover, through the duvet and the sheets. What can I do about it? Back to crating him if I know he needs a wee like when he was little? He's just had a clean bill of health from the vets. Any idea WHY he's doing this? It's driving bonkers!

Thank you!

Justhadmyhaircut Tue 04-Jul-17 20:26:29

Has he been neutered?

elevenswan Tue 04-Jul-17 20:31:40

Yes he was neutered months ago, vet told us it might help to 'calm him down' too but no such luck confused

BellaGoth Tue 04-Jul-17 20:35:13

Could something have put him off going in the garden?

Are you rewarding him when he wees outside? If so how?

What do you do when he wees inside?

Can you elaborate on the other issues?

BiteyShark Tue 04-Jul-17 20:35:18

Not sure I would say he was house trained if he had been having accidents every couple of weeks from an early age. Do you think he just hasn't ever fully got the message that outside=good and inside=bad. If he is still having regular accidents without any obvious trigger or issue even a few weeks apart I would be thinking he needs the message again that outside is where he needs to go.

Do you praise him when he eventually goes outside? I would be going back to basics again with going overboard with praise outside, making a big thing and perhaps even treating him. Also restricting him for now in certain rooms so he doesn't go to his favourite pee spots whilst you go back to toilet training.

elevenswan Tue 04-Jul-17 20:48:15

He was getting treats and praise till he got the hang of it, now he just gets a 'good boy', I can definitely go back to treating again though. I think the biggest issue is that he has a total butterfly brain and is all over the place most of the time, he'll be ready to wee then see a fly/hear a bird/smell something and he's so distracted and I can't get his attention back again. The accidents that were happening were mainly because I didn't 'make' him wee I think, by watching him constantly and asking him to go over and over and then he'd get so distracted he'd forget to go.

He has almost no recall outside the house as he gets so distracted and excited that he won't even take treats which he'd go nuts for in the house! He's not the brightest (cavalier) but it's combined with the energy of a bloody collie so my days are mainly spent trying to stop him from accidentally killing himself and devising new ways to try to tire him out. He likes being in the yard and sniffing around just not weeing in there so don't know if he's worried about anything in there!

elevenswan Tue 04-Jul-17 20:50:14

Oh sorry yes and when he wees inside I don't say anything and just clean it up. But today I admit after he weed on my freshly made bed I did have to put him in his crate for a time out as I was fuming!

elevenswan Tue 04-Jul-17 20:53:14

Oh and I should mention the accidents where I wasn't 'making' him go were the accidents in the past. Recently I've been stood by him repeatedly asking him to wee and he knows the command, he's just ignoring me!

BellaGoth Tue 04-Jul-17 21:03:21

I'd say go right back to basics, start house training from scratch. Lots of praise / reward when he gets it right.

Adolescent dogs are really hard work, sometimes it feels like they've never been trained at all!

BLUEsNewSpringWatch Tue 04-Jul-17 21:34:35

He's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? You say with the energy of a collie but Cavs are spring loaded balls of fun energetic and playful - they're spaniels! The good thing with a Cavalier is they are desperate to please, so actually very easy to train - you just need to teach him how to be calm and settled first, so that he can learn to focus on you (but again they'll learn to calm themselves quite quick once you show them that's what you want). Then they are very easy to teach because they are desperate to please you and get more fuss and attention.

My Cavalier will happily spring and bounce run around the garden chasing flies but as soon as I say his name or click (the verbal way you do to a horse) his attention is totally on me, awaiting my command. I got that by first teaching him how to settle (watched some YouTube vids - I think it was a kilo pup one and a man beginning with z one), then getting him to focus on me more. Any time he got over excited in training I just ignored him until he'd calmed back down. Then gave loads of fuss once he was calm. Once you've got him able to calm and focus, it should be easy to get him going outside and not inside.

Another thing the wee command you've been using needs scrapping - he has learnt he can ignore the command, thus it is now useless. Once you've got him to be focussed on you, start from scratch with a new command.

BLUEsNewSpringWatch Tue 04-Jul-17 21:36:52

* Kiko pup not kilo pup - silly autocorrect

elevenswan Tue 04-Jul-17 21:45:13

I'll have a look at that vid thanks! Could definitely do with getting his attention on me and stop his brain flying off. Ha yes he's bonkers. My last lad was a cav/jack russell/few other things cross rescue and was chilled as anything. This one is a whole different kettle of fish! The trainer said they are usually quite calm and docile but that some springer/cocker may have 'snuck in there somewhere' as he will just go and go and go and never get tired. I think he'd quite like to be walked 4 hours a day if he was allowed. Sometimes do ponder if he's an evil maniac plotting to ruin my life...!

BLUEsNewSpringWatch Tue 04-Jul-17 22:22:01

I think all Cavs are excitable springy balls of fun (like Tigger) on the inside. It's just once they understand when you want calm, they will be calm, to make you happy. It's just they seem to need teaching what calm is in the first place, more than many other breeds.

Also huge numbers of Cavs are kept seriously overweight and unfit, so can't display their energetic nature's. There are at least 6 other Cavs walking in my local area they are all massively obese bar one, which is borderline fat. Vet says my boy is his ideal weight.

Incidentally my boy is only a month younger than yours.

elevenswan Tue 04-Jul-17 22:25:14

Yeah at the vets the other day my vet said she sees overweight cavs all the time, we've met a few too. They're only quite little and then being overweight looks horrible for them cos they're dragging all that extra weight around on their little frame! Met one the other day who's owner said they couldn't take it on the hiking trail we were on as she'd not cope with it, she was basically round sad

BLUEsNewSpringWatch Tue 04-Jul-17 22:26:45

Here's my boy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now