Talk

Advanced search

Should I Put My Border to Sleep?

(2 Posts)
AnAirborneFluffyWhiteThing Fri 30-Jun-17 12:39:17

I have a Border who is knocking on 15yo. He's in reasonable health, but his back legs are v wobbly and he has been found on the kitchen floor doing a Bambi impression, and unable to get up. Luckily, I don't ever its been for long....

He can't see or hear too well, either

His continence is questionable. He manages to wee outside, but the poos are sometimes in, sometimes out - and often both!

While I was out a few days ago, he became entangled in a cable of a table lamp while barking at the front window (its a bit of a habit while I'm out), and my cleaner heard an awful crash as the lamp came down. In her effort to untangle him, he went for her hand. He's left a toothmark on the edge of her hand. She was mortified and upset about the dog and the lamp...

I'm mortified that he's actually 'gone' for someone. I understand it was in a panic, but we are going away in a few weeks time, and have housesitters coming. I'm quite worried that he may do something to them.

I had a chat with the vet back in January, and I said that as long as he was eating and going out for a walk (ie his quality of life was ok), then I'd keep him going. That hasn't really changed, although he's probably only walking every 2 or 3 days. We have a garden that he wanders around in.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Any advice?

Lolabels Fri 30-Jun-17 16:44:01

Only you know your dog and you see his quality of life and know if it's ok! If you are doubting then I would say speak to your vet about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now