Talk

Advanced search

Is there an order to brush your dog?

(11 Posts)
Cannothtinkofaname Mon 26-Jun-17 12:26:21

I brush and comb our dog but it's a bit hit and miss. She's usually lying next to me on the settee and I just randomly brush bits - before she starts trying to chew the brush!
I was wondering though if there is an order to brush your dog , like start with head, go on to legs or something like that?

I'd like to know and get into a proper routine.

Thanks

Wolfiefan Mon 26-Jun-17 12:27:37

I start with the easy bits. So back.
Legs next. Cue biting!
Head and chest last.

No expertise at all! Interested to hear from others. And the biting? She's a pup!

Cannothtinkofaname Mon 26-Jun-17 12:34:45

Yes our one is only 18 months but she still can't resist having a grab of the brush!

I try to brush her legs and then she tucks them in!

I know I should be stricter with her so thought I'd find out how to brush her properly and then make sure we do it every night.

Also try to brush her teeth - now that is another story!

Wolfiefan Mon 26-Jun-17 12:57:55

I feed raw carrot and hope for the best I'm afraid. Bad dog mum!
I stand mine to brush. Tend to do it when we are out in the garden. I also start with a zoom groom which she loves. Then move onto a comb or brush.

missyB1 Mon 26-Jun-17 13:00:50

It's a fight to the death with our Schnauzer pup! I just get to whatever bits I can, to say she hates being brushed is the understatement of the year!

BiteyShark Mon 26-Jun-17 13:04:32

My 9month old spaniel tries to lie on his side to hide the ear I am brushing so can't help you much with that either as I just do a 'best try' approach. He is more tolerant now he goes to the groomer regularly but still does a token protest.

For teeth I try and do his when he is sleepy at night with a finger brush but tend to get quite a lot on the outside of his mouth than his teeth and gums as he tries to lick it all off first and then has a little chew of my finger (not hard but makes it harder to brush his back teeth). I have a vet check up this week and I intend to ask for brushing tips.

pigsDOfly Mon 26-Jun-17 18:38:20

I sit her on my lap so she can't run off.

She'll only sit facing the right, so neck/mane (she has long, fluffy hair), back, her left side , chest and tummy, if I'm quick enough, is the order I generally seem to manage.

Her right side is usually done last as she refuses to turn and face the other way and so I end up brushing that bit as best I can with the brush in between us.

Not sure the order matters really, as long as I manage to actually brush my dog I feel I doing okay.

Cocobananas Mon 26-Jun-17 19:38:33

I wait until she is settling down for the evening, use soft brush for a while until she relaxes then bring in pinned brush and comb for tangles. After 10 mins of this I feel she deserves a tripe stick or similar and I believe so does she!

BLUEsNewSpringWatch Mon 26-Jun-17 21:27:01

I've no idea if there is a proper order but I do:
back (least likely to have tangles) with pinned brush,

followed by ears - Spaniel so takes ages and needs doing on top/outside and underneath (usually do outside first, underneath, then back to outside to finish) on each side (plus I do each with a pinned brush, followed by a gentle slicker brush)

Next I get the special triangle shaped slicker to make sure the small grove behind where his ear and head meet is tangle free on each side.

Chest with pinned brush and gentle slicker.

Legs (again Spaniel fur makes them trickier) - first I tease out knots/tangles where all the little mini leaves and twigs and mud have got with my fingers, then i do the long bits with pin brush, then gentle slicker.

Then I do his long furry tummy. Then he needs between his back legs and his manhood carefully brushing (prone to nasty tangles there if I don't) - again I use pin brush, then gentle slicker.

Then tail with pin brush.

Then soft brush on his head

Then gentle slicker on his back and lots of treats.

Basically I start and end with the area he is happiest to have done.

pigsDOfly Mon 26-Jun-17 22:02:32

Oh yes, forgot her tail. That's done last,. It's plumy and spreads over her back so doing it last allows me to arrange it nicely before she rolls around and gets it full of grass and weeds. Also it's the only bit she'll stand still for.

AdoraBell Mon 26-Jun-17 22:06:49

I try to start mine at the neck, but the daft buggers then lay down for a belly rub and Inend up doing whatever bits I can reach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now