Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have a flat faced breed that doesn't make respiratory noise?

(11 Posts)
MotherPie Tue 20-Jun-17 15:52:47

Recently acquired one (frenchie) and done nothing but worry about health problems since. She snores terribly, snorts and something even her breathing is audible. Had a check up was surprised to hear her breathing is very good considering the breed. I thought 'very good' would be like other dogs - normal breathing. Does anyone have one that doesn't make any noise at all?

Fantasticmissfoxy Tue 20-Jun-17 15:54:09

I've got a frenchie and he doesn't make much noise (a bit of snoring if he lies on his back) he is super fit and I keep him slim as I find if he puts on weight he suffers a bit

glitterglitters Tue 20-Jun-17 15:56:12

Haha no mine is noisy as they come. You can hear him snoring at night from the other floors. You will find you zone out and get used to it. After six years we barely notice. Only when visitors comment.

CornflakeHomunculus Tue 20-Jun-17 16:29:38

She snores terribly, snorts and something even her breathing is audible.

Has your vet suggested treating this? The only real option is surgery (shortening the soft palate and widening the nostrils) but it can be massively beneficial for brachycephalic dogs and help avoid issues such as laryngeal collapse and heart problems which often go hand in hand with BOAS. Fitzpatrick Referrals have a good page about BOAS and treatment options here which is worth a read.

Using a harness rather than a collar and keeping her as slim (I'd aim for properly lean, not just 'not fat') and fit as possible will help to some degree. As Fantastic says excess weight can exacerbate the condition and also make it even harder for them to tolerate exercise and/or heat.

Many vets (not to mention organisations such as UFAW) are of the opinion that all brachycephalic dogs are affected to some degree, even if it's so minor it's never diagnosed. There's a huge issue within most of the brachy breeds with the loud breathing/snoring/snorting/etc. being accepted as "normal" for them, which technically it is because the shape they've been bred into massively predisposes them to have problems, rather than seen as the symptoms of a serious and potentially life limiting condition.

Titsywoo Tue 20-Jun-17 16:36:06

My English bulldog is noisy when she pants but generally she is quiet. She isn't constantly making loud breathing noises anyway. She does pant quite a bit which is when she gets stressed or hot. She doesn't snore very loudly either. But generally they are a noisy breed.

Lordofmyflies Tue 20-Jun-17 20:31:21

My Boston doesn't make breathing noises, but again he is kept slim and fit and he came from two parents who had a more prominent snout.

MotherPie Wed 21-Jun-17 13:26:57

She is slim and isn't totally flat faced- quite a snout for a Boston. Vet didn't discuss BOAS or the surgery but I've researched this and am definitely thinking about it. My spaniel is puffing and panting away in this weather while frenchie is totally unbothered- slightly reassuring. I've worried more about this dogs health than I did my newborn child grin

MRSJWRTWR Wed 21-Jun-17 14:04:36

I have a 6 month old pug and to be honest only hear his breathing/slight snoring if he lies in certain positions when sleeping. Totally off topic but I was astonished to find how fluffy pugs are, his coat is really thick. I know they (fawn ones anyway) have double coats but it still surprised me. Certainly not good in this weather!

LadyDeadpool Wed 21-Jun-17 14:20:16

Totally off topic but I can't understand why you'd buy a dog that will suffer its entire life and encourage the breeding of them. I'm asthmatic it's horrible not to be able to breathe properly.

MotherPie Fri 30-Jun-17 14:05:55

Back with an update... Lady I agree, can't see why people would part with 1k+ for a dog so likely to be ill. Mine is a 5 year old rescue and in a matter of weeks we've had an ear infection, an allergic reaction to an insect bite requiring OOH vets and she's booked for surgery for the breathing issues hmm. My big dog has been ill once in 5 years and that cost £40!

LittleBrighton Fri 30-Jun-17 18:38:12

We have two beautiful Boston terriers, one who snores like god knows what and one that doesn't. Both like to come jogging with us and are super healthy and exercise loads. Snoring means they aren't in bed with us which is probably a good thing.

Good work in the rescuesmile glad they have a loving home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now