Talk

Advanced search

Anyone tried a thundershirt for an anxious dog?

(14 Posts)
JuneFromBethesda Sat 17-Jun-17 21:23:50

www.thundershirt.co.uk/

Our labrador is absolutely petrified of fireworks, also rain, possibility of rain, any sort of unsettled weather hmm, and travelling in the car over 40mph.

We've tried an Adaptil collar, and the plug-in, without any obvious effect. I'm wondering whether this might be worth a try?

JuneFromBethesda Sat 17-Jun-17 21:28:32

Any other suggestions for helping canine anxiety very welcome!

Itsokaytobeshy Mon 19-Jun-17 19:44:25

We bought one in desperation for our very nervous dog who was also terrified of fireworks; she would 'hide' (on top of tables!?!) and refuse to settle for hours if she heard any. I was dubious to say the least...but it did seem to work. The first time she experienced fireworks in it, she was clearly still alarmed but did stay in her bed and within minutes was fast asleep! Could be worth a try - don't they offer a money back guarantee?

CornflakeHomunculus Mon 19-Jun-17 19:56:19

It might be worth trying a body wrap (which you can do with any stretchy bandage of appropriate width) to see if that has an effect before going for the Thundershirt. Wraps also have the advantage of covering less of the dog so they're better for hot weather.

There are instructions on how to do a body wrap (plus ways to make a DIY Thundershirt) here.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 21-Jun-17 20:44:07

Yes! Ours works really well on our greyhound for fireworks and thunderstorms. He's still anxious but responds to comfort and stroking which he doesn't if not in it.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 21-Jun-17 20:44:12

Yes! Ours works really well on our greyhound for fireworks and thunderstorms. He's still anxious but responds to comfort and stroking which he doesn't if not in it.

TheFaerieQueene Wed 21-Jun-17 20:57:33

Yes. My lab gets stressed when routines change. The thunder vest has been brilliant.

jesterwaves Wed 21-Jun-17 21:21:34

Yes - got one for our beagle. She goes all dozy in it. We call it her pyjamas as she wasn't settled at night grin

They seem like a nice company too. If you don't get on with it I think you can donate it to a rescue centre and they'll refund you? Or something? might have made that bit up

applesareredandgreen Thu 22-Jun-17 10:17:16

We have one which we bought for our JRT on recommendation from this board. Initially bought to calm his over excitement when we had visitors,we started using when we left him home alone after a couple of occasions coming back to damage. As soon as we put it on he normally goes off to his basket to sulk!

This week I also bought him a cool coat which had the same effect.

sparechange Thu 22-Jun-17 10:41:16

For fireworks, you would be better off getting a fireworks CD and doing some desensitizing training.

The shirts work, but only when you are around to put one on and they don't deal with the root cause of the problem.

The CD is just lots of noises of fireworks

You start off with it on a very low volume when your dog is eating, or you are doing something fun like playing with a toy.
Then over the course of several weeks, you turn the volume up and up and up.

The dog associates the noise of fireworks with something nice, and it also learns there is nothing to be scared of.

They aren't as effective with thunder storms as fireworks, because storms bring atmospheric changes that dogs can sense, so get more worried than with a noise alone.

But it is definitely definitely worth trying

You can buy the CDs online, and they will come with full instructions on how to use them (and what to do if your dog isn't responding well at first)

I've used them a couple of rescue dogs I've had as well as dogs I've helped train, and I've never met a dog who doesn't improve after it. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll have to take it slowly and it takes months rather than weeks, but the effects are permanent

bluetongue Thu 22-Jun-17 10:43:34

I'm going to try one on my Whippet puppy with separation anxiety. My only concern is that one of his hobbies is removing coats with Velcro fastenings.

PetraStrorm Thu 22-Jun-17 11:06:53

Blue the Thundershirt fastenings are pretty comprehensive, with flaps that sort of wrap over each other so nothing is left exposed. If I remember correctly they also have a brilliant no-quibble returns policy.

I got one for my greyhound who hates fireworks, and it seems to work really well.

jesterwaves Thu 22-Jun-17 18:38:57

Thanks for that post @sparechange really helpful. Might try it with our scaredy bears.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 22-Jun-17 18:45:43

Yes one of mine wears one almost all the time, plus he has xyklene tabs every day too - they work well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now