Talk

Advanced search

Dog frightened of DH coughing at night

(12 Posts)
JontyDoggle37 Sat 10-Jun-17 18:03:01

DDog sleeps either on our bed or in his (enormous) cage at the foot of the bed. He is a 6 year old Westie, the cage would be roomy for a Doberman. If DH coughs in the day, DDog doesn't even lift an eyebrow. But at night, if in the cage he panics and bashes the door until I let him out and cuddle him (DH still out cold snoring 😡), or if he's on the bed he runs round to the far side of me, away from DH and still needs a cuddle. Between DDog, DH and a nob-sleeping toddler, I'm on my knees. Any suggestions for helping DDog?

JontyDoggle37 Sat 10-Jun-17 18:03:48

Argh NON-sleeping toddler!!!!😳

LittleGreenPear Sat 10-Jun-17 18:05:54

Put the dog downstairs would be my suggestion

Wolfiefan Sat 10-Jun-17 18:08:55

Put the DH in the cage and take the dog to bed?
Too harsh?!?! hmm
If DH often coughs at night is there an underlying health issue? A cough that goes on for three weeks should be investigated.

BiteyShark Sat 10-Jun-17 18:15:26

White noise machines can help soften/mask noises which might help. You can place them between the dog and your DH.

TattyCat Sat 10-Jun-17 18:41:17

Dogs are just weird. Our black lab years ago used to run to my mum and really fuss her when she sneezed. If anyone else sneezed, not a muff... nada ... nothing.

JontyDoggle37 Sat 10-Jun-17 19:11:12

LittleGreenPear we used to put the dog downstairs but we get a lot of badgers and foxes directly outside our kitchen at night and the dog would get scared of those and bark and cry instead, so we brought him upstairs...
DH doesn't have an ongoing cough (thanks for the concern though 😁), I guess he just does it as more of a throat-clearing thing. It's not every night, just once or twice a week.
Biteyshark thanks for the white noise machine suggestion, going to give that a go!

BiteyShark Sat 10-Jun-17 19:17:15

I bought one because general noises such as DH getting up, coughing or just moving about used to disturb my sleep and they do help. When the dog is in with us and we have the window open I also put it on and he tends to be less bothered by external noises.

Wolfiefan Sat 10-Jun-17 19:51:16

I would so put DH in the crate!
grin
Cover crate?
Spray bedding with adaptil?
Have the crate so you can reassure him through the bars but not get him out? Every time he gets upset and you get him out that might reinforce that it's scary?
Soft toy to cuddle?
They say put pups with a ticking clock to remind them of mum's heartbeat!
I slept on the floor next to wolfiepup for three weeks when she arrived. Mug?! Me? grin

Catch583 Mon 12-Jun-17 21:40:18

My dog doesn't turn a hair at fireworks, guns or heavy traffic but he's really frightened at a sneeze and needs prolonged cuddles to recover.

JontyDoggle37 Tue 13-Jun-17 07:37:39

So, we decided the dog had to man up. We've put him back in the kitchen. Three nights now, so far so good. Like my toddler DS, it's taking two goes to get him down to sleep (crying a bit at first, a revisit with a 'shush, go to sleep' through the door and then he goes to sleep). Am making sure the kitchen widow is shut so he can't hear things (it doesn't get the afternoon sun so is always nice & cool in there by bedtime). I got eight hours sleep yesterday night and six last night. And miraculously, DS has also slept through the last three nights. Feel like I'm almost human!!!

BiteyShark Tue 13-Jun-17 08:38:31

Well done OP, good result.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: