Talk

Advanced search

I think my puppy class teacher is Gina Ford...

(19 Posts)
PetraDelphiki Wed 31-May-17 10:20:20

Everything that I have done is wrong. I started puppy classes at 13 weeks (that when we got him) - nope, that's too late. I bought dd(10) with me to class as she needs to know about training - nope, she clearly isn't wanted. I've let puppy learn to pee on the lawn without a lead on - nope I should have only ever taken him into the garden to the pee spot on a lead. I haven't trained him to sit on the rug at my side, and being a small breed he's not that motivated by food so treats don't really incentivise him. I've taken him to school pick up (nope, he should have been left at home)...i didn't dare admit he's been to after school activities. ANd I shouldn't have taken him to the (dog) cafe or let him off the lead in the park (where he happily follows me)...

Then she said that I should have waited on getting a puppy until i didn't have to be out the house for hours at a time - or get a nanny. And I should have arranged to live somewhere where I have neighbours who could look after him when I'm out....

Was particularly irritated last night when she demonstrated all the things we were supposed to do with the (highly food oriented) lab puppy and left us to look like dunces with the now teenage (16 week) maltese .No encouragement or anything - just made to feel useless.

But then I realised on the way home that we hated the concept of Gina Ford for dd and that this trainer is doing exactly the same sort of thing with puppy! Won't be going back next week...

So how to i find a trainer who will help me train puppy around my life rather than expect me to change my life to match their rules?

missyB1 Wed 31-May-17 10:24:02

This is the problem puppy classes are so hit and miss, there are some dire classes out there run by battleaxes. You need a much more supportive positive trainer. Can you ask for recommendations on a local FB page?
We left our puppy training when the woman kept telling me I had chosen a difficult breed and I would always struggle with my dog - a miniature schnauzer!!

BiteyShark Wed 31-May-17 10:24:24

I went to two different trainers before finding the right one. Third time lucky smile

Maybe phone them and talk to them about one thing you would like to work on and ask them what they suggest to gauge whether they will work for you.

BiteyShark Wed 31-May-17 10:26:23

missyB1 that sounds like the first one I went to who said 'what do you expect you bought a spaniel' and offered no other help and went off to talk to someone else. I didn't go back again.

LilCamper Wed 31-May-17 10:28:03

Look on The Pet Professional Guild BI website.

PetraDelphiki Wed 31-May-17 10:36:35

Thanks! Yes trainer really wasn't impressed - we went round on first session discussing what our dogs were bred to do and she didn't say anything about Maltese (they are actually clearly terriers...) every other breed was highly intelligent bred to retrieve birds or nets or rats...mine was sneered at :-(

bluetongue Wed 31-May-17 11:13:33

How rude!

They're all dogs and while we all have personal breed preferences a trainer shouldn't be discriminating like that.

LilCamper Wed 31-May-17 16:18:24

Maltese were briefly and mistakenly classed as terriers. They were actually bred as companion dogs for posh ladies. They were used like hot water bottles smile

LilCamper Wed 31-May-17 16:19:41

(I grew up with them)

CornflakeHomunculus Wed 31-May-17 17:59:19

I'd look for a new trainer through any one of these organisations so you can be confident you're getting someone reputable who will be using modern, science based techniques.

If you're on FB you could also join this group and ask for recommendations, it's a very common occurrence and I've never yet seen them unable to find someone good in the poster's area.

CalmItKermitt Wed 31-May-17 18:02:34

That's crap.

Whereabouts are you?

Ylvamoon Wed 31-May-17 22:12:05

Try the link below... maybe there are suitable classes in your area? Best thing is to go along (without your dog) and watch a few sessions! Talk to the trainer (s) - do you agree with their methods?
Try your local dog training club... there is usually more than one trainer per class and they are often a bit cheaper!
Your DD is fully capable to take your dog to class... we usually have children / teens doing the training!

www.thekennelclub.org.uk/training/good-citizen-dog-training-scheme/information-for-dog-owners/good-citizen-dog-scheme-training-clubs/

PetraDelphiki Wed 31-May-17 23:29:40

Thanks all! He certainly acts like a terrier when he picks up a toy - he shakes it to kill it!

TheBrandNewBLUE Thu 01-Jun-17 00:03:00

My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel shakes to kill his toys. He is definitely not a terrier (CKCS are a lap dog / companion / toy breed, like Maltese) - I thought all dogs did that?

Wolfiefan Thu 01-Jun-17 00:07:48

That's crap!
My youngest has come to a training session with me. She sat and watched and didn't get in the way. No problem.
Pee spot? Do you have a Stepford pup? A pee spot is anywhere not in the bloody house or car!
Why can't he go on the school run? Surely he should be meeting people and having new experiences? Ditto dog cafe!
But do tell me you aren't leaving a 13 week old puppy for hours on end?

LilCamper Thu 01-Jun-17 10:17:33

My Lab does a kill shake and he is supposed to be soft mouthed! It's part of the predatory sequence.

PetraDelphiki Thu 01-Jun-17 10:22:03

Apparently at 16 weeks it would be ok to leave him for 3 hours....but I'm not! Am now ifnoring her andgoing with pup needs to fit into our lives rather than having to fit everything round these rules!

Which given that now apparently he should only be allowed to meet 1/3 people and 1/3 dogs is good - you ever tried keeping 10 year old girls away from a fluffy white puppy?

PetraDelphiki Thu 01-Jun-17 10:22:35

Interesting about the kill shake - someone told me it was just terriers! You live and learn!

BiteyShark Thu 01-Jun-17 10:31:52

Yes my spaniel also likes to 'shake and kill' everything grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now