Talk

Advanced search

Rescue arriving v soon, insurance recommendations pls

(11 Posts)
Maladicta Tue 30-May-17 21:15:31

Our lovely boy arrives in the UK from Hungary on Thursday so I've a seriously excited household. He'll be staying with a fosterer in our village for a few weeks so he can get used to being here and we can do introductions etc gradually.

He was fostered with a Hungarian family for several months so his temperament's known if not his actual background - he was rescued from a pound.

We've got everything in place, bar insurance. Is there anyone to avoid/anywhere recommended? CTM has E and L as their cheapest provider, but reading previous threads, opinion was mixed.

Thanks!

SkeletonSkins Thu 01-Jun-17 14:00:54

In my opinion, PetPlan is the only insurance worth having. They pay out consistently and don't mess you about. They also haven't hiked prices as my dog has aged. If I couldn't afford PetPlan then I would put away money monthly into a bank account.

NorthernLurker Thu 01-Jun-17 14:02:20

I agree, go petplan or don't bother and simply save regularly.

stonecircle Thu 01-Jun-17 14:04:30

Petplan is what my vet recommends. We already had insurance with Direct Line who have not always been great to deal with.

Fintress Thu 01-Jun-17 14:08:57

Definitely Petplan. I never had to pay vet up front and wait for Petplan to reimburse me, the vet was happy to receive the funds direct from the insurance.

He's a lovely dog!

Floralnomad Thu 01-Jun-17 15:52:13

Well I've always used Direct Line for my dog and I've never had an issue with them . E &L ( and their various off shoots) have a bad rep and IME rightly so , we had major problems with them when our pony as insured with them.

wisteriainbloom Thu 01-Jun-17 16:00:00

I have John Lewis lifetime cover for my rescue, it gave the most comprehensive cover for the price that I wanted to pay.
I have some eithical objections to petplan and unlicensed breeder support.

stonecircle Thu 01-Jun-17 19:40:38

Wisteria - could you elaborate on what you mean by unlicensed breeder support? One of our dogs is insured with PetPlan so I'm a bit concerned.

Flora - the issue I had with Direct Line was when one of our dogs had to have a broken tooth removed. Because it was the result of trauma rather than decay it was covered but they sent a cheque for about 1/3 of the full cost. They quibbled about things like the fact that the vet had cleaned neighbouring teeth to avoid infecting the cavity. But they don't cover teeth cleaning ...

Having said that, they have just paid out over -£1k for an ear op. But then promptly put our premiums up by £40 pcm ...

Floralnomad Thu 01-Jun-17 20:01:28

With the direct line policy I have dog can have 1k of dental work per annum. The thing is I don't probably see dog insurance the same as lots of people , to me I'd be paying to have the treatment anyway and if insurance pays out then that's like free money . My dog is 7 and I pay about £31 a month . I've claimed about 4 times always in the £6-700 range . I also put £50 per month into his account for his exclusion illness (SLO) , he's now on a lifetime policy but with that exclusion.

wisteriainbloom Thu 01-Jun-17 20:06:33

stone www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4526064/amp/Britain-s-largest-pet-insurance-firm-Petplan-accused.html

They run a 'trusted breeder ' scheme which puppy farmers have joined and used to give a veneer of respectability.

If they have this scheme, they should police it or scrap it (in my opinion).

Maladicta Thu 01-Jun-17 21:30:52

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll take a look at them. Zoli arrived tonight, he's a gorgeous gentleman and now I'm trying to persuade dh that his lovely kennel mate would be welcome here too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now