Talk

Advanced search

She' here :)

(34 Posts)
Flippetydip Tue 30-May-17 15:55:05

So our greyhound is here - she's beautiful. I will try and get a photo at some point.

We all went down this morning to pick her but really she picked us. She seems very waggy and happy although obviously pacing round a lot. She's pooed and wee'd in the back garden which is great.

We'll see how tonight goes! Just trying to ignore her now (although the kids are finding it very difficult) as she sniffs around and settles in.

She came named Boo but the kids want to call her Petra - I'm a bit "meh" about Petra but whatever.

Wish us and her luck! Any tips very very gratefully received.

Phillpot12 Tue 30-May-17 16:05:52

That is SO exciting!! We were both asking questions a few months ago,you obviously got organised. I think we have to wait until after the summer hols. Looking forward to seeing a photo and hearing how it all goes. That's sweet if you feel she picked you! Good luck, a little envious...

CMOTDibbler Tue 30-May-17 16:14:00

yay! Can't wait to see a pic.

Just let things go at her pace, and remember that life will be a series of firsts for her at the moment, and she doesn't need people thrusting things in her face for her to meet

Wolfiefan Tue 30-May-17 16:15:40

Be calm and let her pace.
She will soon be a proper pointy couch potato I'm sure! grin

Floralnomad Tue 30-May-17 16:20:25

Lucky you , have fun with your new hound .

Flippetydip Tue 30-May-17 16:22:39

Sorry, was so excited I couldn't even get the title of my thread properly!

She's laid down with DH in the dining room now as he's doing his school prep. We're going to take her out for a walk in a minute, muzzled obviously, and hope for the best.

The lady from the rescue said we need to leave her on her own for about 15 minutes today just to get her used to it. It's like leaving your new born baby - goes against all my instincts!

ThatsWotSheSaid Tue 30-May-17 16:28:22

What we did was -
- Started leaving him from day one. (Just half an hour to begin with)
- Ignored him when we got back for a few minutes.
- Hand feed him his first few meals, then topped up meals by hand after that (so he thought us coming near his food was a good thing).
- Made sure he had a safe place away from the kids where his wasn't disturbed while he slept.
He's the (almost) perfect pet now, he's so calm and affectionate.

Boynamedsue Tue 30-May-17 16:35:52

Congratulations (photo or it didn't happen grin)

Good luck, ours settled pretty quickly. He's changed loads in the six months we've had him though, he's super calm and relaxed now. It's such a big change for them and I think it takes a while for them to believe they're actually staying! Enjoy your new friend smile

Flippetydip Tue 30-May-17 17:46:04

Not sure if this will work, and also impossible to take pictures of her as she's black.

She's shown not the slightest bit of interest in a couch but seems quite happy in her crate.

She was very good on the walk - although quite strong to start with and of course, the very first dog we came across was a Chihuahua -naturally. She was muzzled and she sniffed and had a bit of a lunge but wasn't that interested really.

Forgive me if I'm on here every day asking questions!

Boynamedsue Tue 30-May-17 18:32:01

Oh she's lovely!

Ours showed no interest in our bed for the first month or so. He now sleeps on it every night blush. I think as they relax they become more adventurous! Saying that he still has little interest in the sofa but it's leather and he has his raised dog bed with a duvet on top which is probably far superior in terms of comfort!

ThatsWotSheSaid Tue 30-May-17 21:22:50

Same here with the sofa. First couple of months he wouldn't come on the sofa no matter how much we encouraged him. Now we can't get him off!

CMOTDibbler Tue 30-May-17 22:05:55

What a sweetie, I love a black greyhound grin

Wolfiefan Tue 30-May-17 22:12:00

Oh my. She's gorgeous. Really stunning.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 31-May-17 08:06:55

You got her! She's lovely.

Flippetydip Wed 31-May-17 09:43:55

We did get her. I am so stupid, I slept really badly last night because I was anticipating she would sleep really badly. But no, we didn't hear a peep from her. I realise it's very early days but hopefully she will be less freaked out rather than more tonight - we'll see.

She didn't make any noise this morning either but was very happy to see us when we went down to her.

She's back in her crate for 30 minutes now whilst DH gives a cello lesson and then her and I are home for the day alone whilst DH takes the DC out.

She is still not very relaxed but as she hasn't even been here 24 hours, that's to be anticipated I guess. She is adorable though and very friendly. We are all besotted already - even DH who said he didn't like pointies (before she arrived) shock. Today he said "she is really pretty". It didn't take long!

Wolfiefan Wed 31-May-17 09:45:47

Ha! My DH wasn't all that keen on dogs before we got ours. She's his baby. She chewed a kitchen cupboard and he was like "oh poor thing. She's teething "
You're not stupid. I have a baby monitor for mine and sit with her till she falls asleep at night!

Flippetydip Wed 31-May-17 09:47:11

Oh - and that thing about greyhounds not wanting to go for a walk in the rain - not so much in this case - she's desperate for walks! We went out for 45 minutes in the rain this morning and she loved it.

We really want to let her off as she looks desperate to run but I feel we may never see her again. Any advice on that front gratefully received.

Flippetydip Wed 31-May-17 09:47:57

Wolfie bless your DH. I'm quite glad we don't have a puppy though!

Wolfiefan Wed 31-May-17 09:51:18

She's 8 months so over the mad biting stage and training is coming on well. I have waited years for her. She's my baby puppy!!!
Have a look for a safe space near you. We have fields locally we can hire. Also go to a couple of friendly kennels and use their exercise paddock!
Smaller dogs people use longlines on a harness but I wouldn't want to with a pointy. At the moment I daren't let big girl off if it's not a safe space. I bought a whistle. Practicing blowing whistle and giving her a high value treat when she comes. But with distractions?! I wouldn't!! Not yet.

CMOTDibbler Wed 31-May-17 11:54:26

Theres a website called dog walking fields which has a lot of the places you can hire, and its worth searching for sighthound playgroups which are enclosed spaces hired out for mass zoomies. And don't forget pointy word of mouth - accost other greyhound owners (don't forget to memorise her track history and parentage) and find out where is good locally. Round my way there are a few places which aren't secure, but are fenced/enclosed well enough that those who might beggar off are catchable.
But practice in the house and garden with whistling her and rewarding mightily with whatever floats her boat - cooked cocktail sausages, chorizo, hot dog sausage, dried liver, and dried sprats are all very popular here, but some prefer (and can tolerate) cheese, primula spread or whatever. Throw in a mega treat every so often so you plant the thought that they really don't want to miss out by not coming back.
With a bit of work you can also whistle train the dc which is handy :-) mine also likes chorizo which gets some funny looks...

Flippetydip Wed 31-May-17 12:27:11

She doesn't seem highly food oriented at the moment but I guess that might because she's still slightly stressed. She's fine but obviously on high alert all the time. She's lying beautifully in the crate downstairs whilst I'm working googling greyhound tips upstairs (not shut in and she has another bed she can use but she seems to like the crate) but she's not relaxed. I'm not even sure she's been to sleep yet. Every time I go down she leaps up.

That said, she hasn't even been here 24 hours yet so it's very early days.

Wolfiefan Wed 31-May-17 16:26:59

It's still early days. Mine isn't good orientated but would sell her own hind legs for liver cake!! grin

Wolfiefan Wed 31-May-17 16:27:24

Food orientated.
But she's often not good orientated either!! grin

Apocalyptichorsewoman Wed 31-May-17 20:25:15

SQUEEE! A pointy faced couch potato! grin

It sounds like she is doing ever so well! When I got my rescue doggy she was very affectionate but was a bit restless and pacey for a couple of days or so. Apart from snuggling on my bed with me... confused

It's early days yet and it sounds like it is going well!

I would second looking at hired safe spaces for zoomie pointy nosed girl because there is no way on Gods Green earth I would let her off lead otherwise at this point.

Flippetydip Thu 01-Jun-17 06:57:10

Another night with no whining or howling where she's slept in her crate beautifully. No accidents in the house, eating fine, very excited for walks and just a generally gorgeous girl. Slightly lungy with small dogs so we are keeping her muzzled.

I can't believe it can be quite this easy - waiting for the wheel to come off somewhere along the line!

Is it too earlier to try and bath her do you think? She still stinks of kennels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now