Talk

Advanced search

Doggy dementia

(25 Posts)
Mumteedum Mon 29-May-17 06:21:30

Please someone wiser than me tell me what to do.

Border terrier is 12. Last year he had a fit and after talking to the vet about some other behaviour, then thought he may have start of mental decline.

No more fits and behaviour actually improved for a bit but it's getting worse by the day now. I will speak to vet again but appreciate any suggestions.

He's been barking at night so, cos I was worried about annoying neighbours, brought him up to my room. Seemed to help for few days but this last week has been horrendous. Constant whining, pacing, licking and the barking. I'm up and down stairs all night. Letting him out, getting him in.

He seems to want food but won't eat his dog food (always been fussy). He is much better during the day.

Tried Bach rescue remedy for dogs, and calming dog treats. Does nothing.

Im exhausted. I'm a single working mum and neeeed to sleep for my health and sanity.

SpareChangeDownTheSofa Mon 29-May-17 06:29:55

Sorry to hear about this Op.

I hate to say it but if its getting so bad and you think his quality of life is poor/its unfair on him due to him being so stressed out it might be the kindest thing to pts. I know its hard but I had to do the same thing when my dog had a stroke, he just wasn't the same and the vet said he would be confused, not know us and it was generally kinder than keeping him alive in that state.

Hope this helps flowers

Mumteedum Mon 29-May-17 06:32:17

See this is the problem. He's active, and happy during the day. Just doesn't seem the time yet. It doesn't help that he's always been high maintenance little bugger. Love him to bits. sad

SpareChangeDownTheSofa Mon 29-May-17 06:38:12

Well if you think his quality of life is high enough for it to be fair to keep him going then that's what you should do, you'll know yourself when its time. Its not an easy decision to make sad You will know when, its just making that choice.

Have you tried an adaptil dog collar? They're meant to help with anxiety in dogs and can be prescribed for dementia, it should help with the barking. It has a pheromone in it or something that calms them down.

Your vet may also be able to provide prescription meds to help out, maybe keep a log of his behaviour so they can see how severe it is/what dosage is needed?

Veterinari Mon 29-May-17 06:55:44

Night barking and pacing is a sign of canine cognitive dysfunction, but the other symptoms you describe e.g. The Fit don't fit this (fitting is not a dementia sign)

It could be that there are other things going on but figuring it out would likely require extensive testing which may not babe appropriate for you.

The best medicine for cognitive decline in dogs is Selgian (a medicine called vivitonin is also available to improve blood flow to the brain, but the evidence for it is weak). Selgian will boost levels of serotonin, reduce anxiety and can reverse some signs of cognitive decline. It can take up to 6 weeks to see the effects though. It's worth having another chat with your vet and discussing the options

Good luck flowers

LilCamper Mon 29-May-17 08:01:07

I highly recommend this book Remember Me?

Ahrightsoted Mon 29-May-17 09:09:10

Omg I was just coming on here to write your post exactly but my ddog doesn't have any fits. He is an 11yr old bulldog and I was told in Dec he had early signs of dementia. The reason I took him at that time was because all of a sudden he had started pooing and weeing on all the carpets. He prescribed the sedative that starts with a z (can't remember name) and it helped for a while but things are so much worse now. I ha e to restrict him to the kitchen and conservatory as that's the only place that isn't carpeted-I work in the conservatory all day so he's not alone ever. But he wets his bed constantly-maybe 3/4 times a day even though the back door is always open.
And for the last few weeks unless he's asleep he's barking. Sat night was bad but last night was horrendous-started barking at 1 and has only just gone to sleep now. I'm so sick of it and am also exhausted. I feel like waking him up every time he sleeps today.
The barking doesn't seem to affect dh at all and it's all left to me. I am also worried that the neighbors will complain. I have explained how bad things are but still.
I need to get him to the vet this week but what do I do. My head says enough is enough and I can't carry on any more but my heart says he does have some good days left.
I've been crying on and off all morning and what hasn't helped is dh coming in off nights and shouting at me for snapping at him. It's ok for him he's gone to bed but I have a full day of work to do and two kids to look after.
Any advice?????
Health wise he's ok, nothing that I know of. Kidney and liver function was tested on Dec and was all fine. I know he's old and can't help it sad

Mumteedum Mon 29-May-17 17:16:37

Thank you lil camper. I've ordered it.

Ahright... Sorry to hear about your dog too. He sounds worse than my dog. The barking is bad enough but pooping... Thankfully that's v rare.

Ahrightsoted Mon 29-May-17 17:45:41

For me the barking is so much worse, I think because I've become so used to clean up wee and poo. The noise goes right through me.
He also does the pacing and panting and licks his paws. Once he starts barking he can't calm himself down so it can go on for hours. I stayed down stairs last night with til 4.30am and got on with work as best as I could. Once he seemed like he'd calmed down I crept back upstairs and just started to drift off to sleep and he started again. It's like torture.

What's your plan?? My vets was shut today so will book him in tomorrow. Dh took him in march because his excema had come back and the vet asked him how things were and he said "fine". When he told me I was gobsmacked and asked him what planet he was on. He's so oblivious to how bad things are
Fingers crossed we both have better nights

Mumteedum Mon 29-May-17 19:02:39

Thanks Ahright. You too. I'm a single mum to a five year old and sometimes ds wakes dog up with nightmare and that's it. No sleep for me. Last night was horrendous. Ds was fine but he gets up at the 6am.

Yy to vet's appointment asap. Dog is same as yours with licking, pacing and whining. He does a grumble followed by a loud bark which he too will repeat for hours. It's so stressful.

Mumteedum Tue 30-May-17 01:04:36

Well. I've had 20 mins sleep so far before he woke abruptly and I had to take him downstairs. I decided to try and chill with TV on instead of stressing. He finally settled after I watched an episode of Mad Men. I sneaked upstairs but he woke up. He was whining but not barking so I've tried to ride it out and it's just gone quiet. Fingers and paws crossed I can sleep for a bit now.

Im ringing vet tomorrow and hope can get some medication to help. I can't believe how quickly it's got this bad. Wasn't this bad two weeks ago. sad

DimplesToadfoot Tue 30-May-17 01:16:21

I had my old dog on a tablet called Aktivait, my vet recommended it to me but it doesn't need a prescription .. I could see a difference in my old pooch the day she started taking it and it, I would totally recommend it to anyone with an older dog x

Veterinari Tue 30-May-17 07:45:40

Agright please speak to your vet again - it sound like they prescribed xylkene which is an anti anxiety supplement but not indicated in senile cognitive dysfunction. Selgian is the only medicine licensed for this condition and can be very effective

This article has lots of information
www.researchgate.net/profile/Gary_Landsberg/publication/51155372_Clinical_Signs_and_Management_of_Anxiety_Sleeplessness_and_Cognitive_Dysfunction_in_the_Senior_Pet/links/548f33790cf2d1800d86233c/Clinical-Signs-and-Management-of-Anxiety-Sleeplessness-and-Cognitive-Dysfunction-in-the-Senior-Pet.pdf

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 30-May-17 07:48:11

He ,might be having reflux as well. Ask the vet about it.

Ahrightsoted Tue 30-May-17 08:17:55

Thank you for the link veterini, have had a quick read through it and will read properly later.
Yes that was the drug he was prescribed, it helped for a while. I will ask the vet about the drug u recommended.
He slept fine last night, didn't wake me til just before 7. I think he was so tired from the night before. I feel so sorry for him and worry that he has no quality of life anymore.

Ahrightsoted Thu 01-Jun-17 18:27:19

Just got back from the vets and sadly we lost our puppy dog sadI'm heartbroken
The vet felt his dementia was too far gone and the drugs might have bought him a few more months but there was no guarantee as they didn't always work for all dogs.
He didn't even have his dinner today because I thought he'd have it when he got home and I feel so bad about that xxxxx

BiteyShark Thu 01-Jun-17 18:44:13

Ahrightsoted I'm so sorry. Please don't dwell on the food, you did the best for your dog flowers

Ahrightsoted Thu 01-Jun-17 19:14:05

Aw thanks bitey but it was all i could think of. I really thought they'd push for different drugs and come back if no improvement so I was really shocked. Dh was with me and said let's just do it rather than taking him home and not doing anything. The vet said over the next few months the deterioration would become worse and he prob wouldn't know us

PlymouthMaid1 Thu 01-Jun-17 19:40:02

Really sorry to hear that. I had a trip to the vet once, waved bye and told my little dog I would see him later. I never did as he was way more ill than we could have known.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Thu 01-Jun-17 19:45:23

Sorry about your dog Ahrightsoted, sometimes it's the best.

Mine are getting on, and the time will come eventually, and I also had a dog with dementia once, my sympathies.

Veterinari Thu 01-Jun-17 21:27:46

Big hugs Ahright
He's at peace now - no more confusion or distress, and he knew his humans were with him til the end - it's hard now, but it's the right thing flowers

Mumteedum Thu 01-Jun-17 22:58:41

Really sorry to hear that Ahright. It's made me well up. Can't bear the thought of losing my boy yet.

Pigeonpost Thu 01-Jun-17 23:19:01

Oh that's sad sadWe are currently fostering a 13yo spaniel who is on Selgian. He howls and it was impossible for his owners to keep him as they run a guesthouse with thin walls. He's much calmer since he's been with us (two months) but does have his howling moments. He's otherwise fit and healthy and enjoys a good walk but the howling does grate and I'm not sure how much more I can take.

Ahrightsoted Fri 02-Jun-17 07:05:21

Thanks everyone, I knew it would be hard but I don't feel any relief now he's gone and wished I'd pushed for the medication. The house is so quiet, he was such a noisy dog. The kids are upset and dh isn't talking and I feel like it's my fault
It will take a long time to get over this xx

Ahrightsoted Fri 02-Jun-17 07:06:13

Mumteedum give your doggie a big cuddle from me xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now