Talk

Advanced search

reducing meals from 3 to 2 (puppy)

(5 Posts)
Dottymum2 Mon 29-May-17 00:57:09

Hi, did everyone wait till 6 months to do this? My nearly 5 month old cockapoo is being really disinterested in his breakfast and only eating half to a third of lunch and then absolutely licking the bowl clean at dinner and sometimes having extra to make up for the meals in the day. Is he trying to tell me 2 meals would be enough now? Timings are roughly 8am, 1ish and 6ish. He eats nature diet, wet puppy food sometimes with a few cubes of cheese on top to entice him. He always eats occasional cooked chicken and rice which he loves. Thanks in advance.

BiteyShark Mon 29-May-17 05:17:17

I waited until 6 months but before then he would often leave breakfast and a lot of his lunch as well. No real reason I didn't cut down earlier other than it was easy to store what he didn't eat to give it to him later and I was concerned about him being active all day with no food at that age because he was and still is less bothered by food at breakfast.

Dottymum2 Mon 29-May-17 06:43:40

Also not always!

Dottymum2 Mon 29-May-17 06:44:36

Thanks Bitey, thats helpful.

MissMurielStacy Mon 29-May-17 06:54:42

I think we made lunch a smaller meal before we cut it out completely. It might take a few days for him to get used to eating more at breakfast, I wouldn't top up the evening meal too much either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now