Talk

Advanced search

does anyone elses dog love hedgehogs?

(7 Posts)
Medeci Sun 28-May-17 09:23:52

No idea how he manages to carry them with all the spikes, but he does. He found one in the garden last night and tried to sneak it into the house, spotted him just in time and made him drop it. I'm sure he thinks its a prickly ball and wants to play with it on his bed.
He did the same thing last year, hedgehogs don't seem bothered, they keep coming back.
I really don't want them in the house though so will be keeping dog on a lead for late night garden visits.

yetwig Sun 28-May-17 13:12:15

yep mine does the same, brings them into the house and puts them in her bed. I feel bad for the hog as i think its the same one!! She does it atleast twice a week lol

Floralnomad Sun 28-May-17 13:14:46

Mine too, but he's so ball obsessed that he's only allowed balls on walks so if he finds a hoggie in the garden he thinks he's in paradise .

tabulahrasa Sun 28-May-17 15:43:36

I had a dog once that felt the need to pee on every poor curled up hedgehog he found...

DramaAlpaca Sun 28-May-17 15:52:41

Mine loves them, but is confused by them. When she finds them in the garden she circles them, barking like mad with excitement and confusion. We have to pull her away & bring her inside because she's so excited by the hedgehog she won't listen to calls & whistles. Nothing else gets her so wound up.

I know someone whose terrier tried to pick up a hedgehog and ended up losing an eye from the spikes.

Medeci Mon 29-May-17 12:53:09

DH has googled "dogs and hedgehogs" and now worried about risk of injuries to both. He suggested blocking up the little hedgehog door cut in the fence, but I love having hoggies visiting, hardly ever see slugs or snails, and like to think of them pottering about in the garden at night.
Dog was fine going out to pee on the lead after dark yesterday, so I think we'll carry on doing that.

NoCureForLove Mon 29-May-17 12:56:30

Another one with a terrier here - she goes mad if she finds a hedgehog - she definitely wants to kill it sad and has injured her mouth and face getting spines stuck in her - we always manage to rescue the poor hedgehog and release it safely away from her ... so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now