Talk

Advanced search

Long season

(9 Posts)
Chocolate1985 Sat 27-May-17 22:15:41

My westie seems to have unusually long seasons , I've posted in chat about the vets views on this but just realised this chat section is probably better for this type of post . Last year she bled for four weeks and that was exactly a year ago and this time round it's been the same . Basically vet said no point getting her dressed as we got her when she was two . I just worry there's something wrong when she bleeds so long and have phoned vets for advice but they always say that's normal ? I am aware of pyometra etc so that's why I worry .

Wolfiefan Sat 27-May-17 22:17:32

Dressed?
You can surely neuter an older dog.
Is she only having one season a year?

Lucisky Sat 27-May-17 22:38:28

If she is otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry overmuch, probably just the way she's made. There is no reason why you can't have her spayed either, there is no age limit really, as long as the dog is in good health. It saves a lot of worry and mess and reduces the chance of womb and mammary cancers, so I have read.

CornflakeHomunculus Sat 27-May-17 23:40:41

Her cycle doesn't sound particularly unusual at all. A 3-4 week season every 6-8 months is average but lots of bitches fall outside that range. It's also not unusual for a bitch to bleed right through her season.

I'm surprised at the advice from your vet though. The risk of pyometra increases with age so if she's fit and well I'd expect them to be encouraging you to consider having her done sooner rather than later.

More and more vets are now offering laparoscopic spays which are much less invasive and have a shorter recovery time than traditional spays. It's something worth considering if you're worried about putting her through a major op.

Chocolate1985 Sat 27-May-17 23:45:36

Oh that would be so much better for her as she's never had any surgery so far and it is a worry putting her through any operation . Thanks for reassuring me that it doesn't seem unusual . She is otherwise healthy apart from an ongoing ear problem for which she has had antibiotics and drops . Shes no bother all when in season it's just her health I am concerned about so a laparoscopic op would be something I will discuss with vet and if they don't offer it I will find one who does .

Blackfellpony Sun 28-May-17 06:44:44

I would spay her asap as the risk of pyo increases with age, not worth the risk and it would solve all of the problems with seasons smile

CMOTDibbler Sun 28-May-17 16:30:40

My foster puppy was spayed laproscopically two weeks ago - by the time she was picked up from the vets she was boinging up and down, and just had two 1cm incisions with no stitches. She was supposed to be reasonably quiet for two days, but it was hard as she really wasn't affected at all. Its my first experience with the lapro technique - this vets offered to do it for free while they are building up their numbers which the rescue gratefully accepted - and I'd really recommend it

Vicina Mon 29-May-17 09:45:13

I rehomed a seven-year-old lurcher who almost immediately came into season and bled fairly heavily for five weeks.
She never had another as I had her spayed - not because of the length of season, I would have had it done anyway.

Chocolate1985 Mon 29-May-17 22:38:28

It's good to hear that the lapro went well and that your foster puppy was back to herself very quickly Dibbler I think this option would be the best for my dog . Knowing her she would milk the extra attention though she's a master of the sad eyes and sighing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now