Talk

Advanced search

Insurance..

(6 Posts)
MissPollyPops Sat 27-May-17 15:45:37

Hi,
Can someone educate me on pet insurance?
I currently have direct line insurance for my dog and cats. Always had the policy. It's a whole of life policy.
In the last couple of years, I've claimed a couple of times for an issue the dog has had.
Am i right in thinking, I can't really shop around the pet insurance? As since we've already claimed for an issue with the dog, other companies wouldn't cover it?
So basically need to stick with direct line no matter how much the price increases?
Thanks

BiteyShark Sat 27-May-17 15:56:48

I think most insurances won't cover pre existing illnesses so I guess it depends on whether the things you have been to the vets about are issues that you could not cover yourself in the future.

Fireinthegrate Sat 27-May-17 16:09:03

We have just made the decision to cancel our 4 yr old spaniel's insurance and to not insure our puppy. We are going to put £80/month in a savings account instead.
We do have other savings too and if the worst should happen we feel we have enough to cover most eventualities.

LaGattaNera Sat 27-May-17 18:26:27

if you switch insurers no they will no cover pre-existing conditions. I would always have insurance myself though and wouldn't rely on putting money aside as all of my dogs have required treatment running into thousands for a single condition.

lynmilne65 Sat 27-May-17 18:28:33

They are notoriously difficult to deal with, 2 of my friends were fobbed off. Agree with Fire 🔥 that's what I do x

BiteyShark Sat 27-May-17 18:41:27

For those deciding to cancel insurance it's down to whether you can cope with multiple issues over many years costing hundreds and possible thousands. I would hate to have to make a decision based on cost sad. I have a limit of 4K per year which I know I could top up occasionally if needed but should protect me for most accidents, operations or chronic conditions. I am also aware that having claimed I am probably tied in as it's a life policy and I don't want to leave myself exposed to pre condition exclusions given how high some vet costs can be.

OP if you think the renewal is excessive is it worth getting some quotes and then phoning up the companies and asking what specifically would not be covered as a pre existing illness given your previous claim. For example if you had treatment on a leg would that mean anything to do with that leg in the future would be excluded?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now