Talk

Advanced search

Poorly puppy

(8 Posts)
Rarity75 Sat 27-May-17 00:36:24

We got an 8 week old springer spaniel girl last Saturday. Hours later we were in the out of hours vets.

She had eaten twine and straw from the farm she had been raised in. She had a laparotomy on Monday afternoon. They had to do 5 incisions and removed a 5cm section of perforated intestine. Tiny mm wide hole.

Since then I've been syringe feeding her high calorie food. She has shown no interest in eating at all.

She has passed stools but not fully formed. Has been drinking and weeing well. Has periods of bright behaviour and a lot of sleeping.

Today she has been vomiting bile after food. I'm booked into the vets in the morning. But I have been feeding her every two hours. I don't know whether to stop feeding her for tonight and just focus on drinking until we see the vets? I'm really worried. Sorry for the long post sad

PhDPepper Sat 27-May-17 01:25:27

Oh the poor puppy! Also poor you for being awake so much! I'd concentrate on water for now, my only experience of dogs vomiting bile is when my dog is hungry... very annoying!

I really hope the vets goes okay tomorrow, if you didn't have an appointment in the morning I'd be suggesting you go to the emergency vet tonight. However maybe just keep an eye on her and take her in the morning?

confuzzled42 Sat 27-May-17 01:40:31

So sorry for you pup - if anything like children just try and keep hydrated until vets tomorrow. Unmumsnetty hugs.

confuzzled42 Sat 27-May-17 01:50:21

Sorry that should say you AND pup

Rarity75 Sat 27-May-17 02:21:15

Thank you, I'm just keeping up with electrolytes and water. She's shattered though (so am I!). I'm just really worried and have no car until 6.30 - DP works nights.

Rarity75 Sat 27-May-17 02:24:26

She started being sick about 9.30 and has had 3 episodes. I'm hoping she was hydrated enough over the last few days to be ok. There wasn't much volume on each occasion, I'm also wondering if she is constipated. Although my biggest fear is peritonitis and I can't do anything until morning. So frustrated,

CornflakeHomunculus Sat 27-May-17 03:42:09

I'd be either ringing your vets if they run their own out of hours service or if not then ringing whoever covers your local area and asking for advice. If your vets aren't available out of hours they should provide contact details for whoever does.

Puppies this young can go downhill and get dehydrated very quickly indeed, even without the added issue of being post-surgery. I wouldn't be happy making the decision to stop offering food regularly (if that's what's you've been instructed to do) or waiting until the morning to be seen.

BiteyShark Sat 27-May-17 06:31:52

OP hope your little one feels better soon. Get on to the vets as soon as you can and or phone the emergency number for advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now