Talk

Advanced search

Puppy suddenly pooing in crate

(10 Posts)
heidiwine Wed 24-May-17 07:15:16

Help!
We've had our lovely pup for 2 weeks now and he's been an angel. Until yesterday when I feel like he turned into a different dog.
I went out for a few hours and left him with a puppy sitter (who he's been left with three times before for a few hours). When I got back he was relaxed and then after he'd eaten he went wild and has stayed that way: barking, running, jumping, scratching himself like crazy. Eventually he settled on the sofa.
Took him out to pee at 11 and then again at 3. This morning I cam down at 6 to find he'd pooed in his crate sad
Opened the door and he rushed out to do another (big) poo.
Someone help me... is he OK or do I have the start of a dog with separation anxiety!

BiteyShark Wed 24-May-17 07:32:22

How old is the puppy? Mine used to pee and poo at frequent intervals during the night when very young, a bit like a baby would do. Sounds like he just needs to he let out to toilet more often until he is bigger as he clearly needs more opportunities to pee and poo. Can you hear him where you are sleeping to know if he is awake and needs to toilet? I used a baby monitor for mine so I knew if he was awake. If awake at night at that age they need to be given a quick toilet break opportunity.

Puppies also have mad moments when they run around like a mad thing on drugs. That is quite normal. Perhaps not the scratching so keep an eye on that.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 24-May-17 07:41:36

Any changes in the food? Could be allergic to an ingredient in it. My friend's dog is allergic to wheat and scratches like crazy if she eats something she shouldn't. Also has lots of diarrhoea.

purplecoathanger Wed 24-May-17 07:44:10

Sounds entirely normal behaviour for a puppy. My dog had a sensitive stomach when she was little. He'll get over it, so just carry on doing everything right. Frequent trips outside, especially after food, sleep, games etc.

The silly behaviour is normal.

heidiwine Wed 24-May-17 09:42:53

I think he has an upset tummy. No changes to diet though but definitely not himself in past 24 hours.
After a total of 4 poos between 6am and 8am (all outside) he has now crashed out in his clean crate.
Let's hope that's what it was and that he's not developing separation anxiety which really would be my worst nightmare!

CMOTDibbler Wed 24-May-17 10:01:45

Did the puppy sitter give him treats?

TheBrandNewBLUE Wed 24-May-17 10:03:15

Could the puppy sitter have feed him something? - mine did this and we couldn't work out why he kept have tummy and wind issues angry, then we found out she was feeding him stuff that way upsetting his tummy.

TheBrandNewBLUE Wed 24-May-17 10:06:32

*fed - not feed obviously
*Was - not way

BiteyShark Wed 24-May-17 10:18:44

OP I googled actual research articles on seperation anxiety and to be honest I think the term is overused. Remember if he is toileting in his crate it doesn't automatically mean SA, at that age the first thing you need to consider if whether you are giving him enough opportunities to toilet.

When you say he had a poorly tummy do you mean he has the runs or is it firm but lots of them? My dog tends to do several poos in the morning rather than later in the day.

heidiwine Wed 24-May-17 10:32:14

Aha I reckon the puppy sitter gave him something (now onto poo number 6!). He's much much better though and calmer but still bouncy (as opposed to wild). Let's hope for a better day. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now