Talk

Advanced search

False Widow Spider Bite

(2 Posts)
twojues Wed 17-May-17 12:46:51

Please watch out for spiders with your dogs.

We very nearly lost our Toller last week to a spider bite. He had hurt his foot earlier in the week and as he was still limping 3 days later and whimpering I took him to the vets. They sedated and prayed his foot. Couldn't see anything broken but his toe was a bit swollen. Vet bandaged it to try and make the mad dog rest it.

On the Sunday we sadly had to take our other dog to the vets to be put to sleep. We took the Toller with us to say goodbye and the vet noticed a little bit of blood seeping through. He took him away to check it and his foot was a mess. He was immediately sedated and put on intravenous antibiotics and pain relief.

After a week of cleaning and redressing, we have now been advised that his toe (where he was bitten) is not viable (can provide gorey photo!) and it will be better for his recovery to have his toe amputated sad

I didn't hear him yelp or anything when the spider bit him, so not sure where it happened. But please keep an eye out for your dogs. I'd hate another dog and family to go through what we have. We nearly lost 2 dogs in 24 hours as the vet said if we hadn't taken him to say goodbye, it may have been too late 24 hours later.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Wed 17-May-17 19:57:26

Poor thing - how scary for you all. I hope he recovers quickly from the operation. My Toller sends love and licks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now