Talk

Advanced search

Best dry dog food?

(31 Posts)
ChesterDrawers Wed 17-May-17 07:27:08

We're in the process of adopting a three year old cocker spaniel and I'm getting everything we need together. I want to get a good quality dry food but the range out there is baffling!

What do people think the best kind is? Also is there anywhere you can get sample packs to make sure she likes it. She's currently on some kind of locally made stuff in the foster home (not near us) but I would rather use something that's a bit more readily available!

Our old spaniel was a fussy chap and would only eat cheap stuff (I know!) so I'm hoping the latest addition will have better taste!

BiteyShark Wed 17-May-17 07:32:44

Look on allaboutdogfood.co.uk to compare quality with price etc. I use Millie's Wolfheart for my cocker and you can buy sample bags from them to check that your dog likes the food first.

LumelaMme Wed 17-May-17 08:02:11

I currently have a large breed puppy on Orijen and the other dogs queue up for a taste. It costs the bloody earth per bag, but they don't need too much of it, so the cost per meal isn't too hideous.

A friend of mine had a very skinny springer cross and put him on Gentle which has done him the world of good.

And if you want a decent quality cheaper kibble, some of the Skinner's Field and Trial foods are very good value.

Check them out on the site Bitey recommends. It's really good, but bewildering unless you have a few brands in your sights already.

leighdinglady Wed 17-May-17 08:16:52

Cannagans is great. It has a 94% score for nutrician. Our dog poos must less and much firmer since going on it. His fur also looks thicker

FatPiggy Wed 17-May-17 08:18:33

Mine are all fed Eden.

Nanasueathome Wed 17-May-17 08:20:10

Tails.com is also good

Devonishome1 Wed 17-May-17 08:22:17

AATU is a brilliant food with the highest score on allaboutdogs. 80% meat.

slkk Wed 17-May-17 08:30:27

Our dog is pretty fussy but she likes tails.com. And it means I don't need to keep remembering to buy more.

Whitney168 Wed 17-May-17 08:35:25

Not that this is going to help much LOL, but the best dry dog food is ... the one that suits your dog best. Oh, and price is not always an indicator of quality, some are hugely expensive but get dreadful analytical reviews. (Yes, Royal Canin, I'm looking at you. I win a lot of this, but give it away.)

Bit of trial and error, I'm afraid. Some dogs will thrive on anything, including the very cheap working dog/greyhound type foods. Some will do well on the very expensive grain frees, but when I've tried them they didn't suit the dog at all. Some are great for a dog that tends to put on weight, but will have the average dog too lean (Burns).

I feed Arden Grange and my (show) dogs all do well on it and look good. Medium priced food, decent results on comparison sites.

Chickenagain Wed 17-May-17 10:14:19

We use Millie's Wolfheart. My dog enjoys it & prefers it to Orijen and Bob & Lush.

Jungfraujoch Wed 17-May-17 10:19:06

Aatu didn't suit my dog at all. Think he has a sensitive stomach - now on a mix of Burns Sensitive and normal Burns and all good.

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 17-May-17 10:19:46

Pets at home refund if you don't get on with it ☺

twocockers Wed 17-May-17 10:23:40

My two cockers have Akela. Scored very highly on allaboutdogdood.com. Grain free and they do sample packs. Only downside is we have to use slow feed bowls because they wolf it down 🤣

FoxesAreFabulous Wed 17-May-17 10:23:52

Another vote here for Canagan - it's really good quality. My 13 year old DD did a lot of research into food before we got our pup and the best brands she came across were Canagan. AATU, Orijen and Millie's Wolfheart.

Eolian Wed 17-May-17 10:26:04

Millies Wolfheart. Switched to it a few months ago and never looked back. Ddog loves it (having always been a bit meh about his food) and his digestion has mych improved too.

KittiesInsane Wed 17-May-17 10:30:11

We use Guru. Can't help thinking it must be really boring eating one of two flavours for ever, but the dog doesn't seem to mind, and the non-stinky poo is a definite plus.

Cocobananas Wed 17-May-17 14:15:43

I give naturediet in the morning and Gentle, a cold pressed kibble in the evening. Poo is smaller and firmer now. Also you can use raw with these so it gives me scope to give pup a couple of raw bones and raw tripe a couple of times a week. Completely raw constipated her but she loves crunching bones up and I want her teeth to stay clean.

ChesterDrawers Wed 17-May-17 16:40:49

Wow, lots of advice here, thanks! I will have a look and get some sample packs.

Just need the new dog now grin

SparklingRaspberry Wed 17-May-17 17:03:20

I give naturediet in the morning and Gentle, a cold pressed kibble in the evening. Poo is smaller and firmer now. Also you can use raw with these so it gives me scope to give pup a couple of raw bones and raw tripe a couple of times a week. Completely raw constipated her but she loves crunching bones up and I want her teeth to stay clean

You shouldn't feed kibble and raw at the same time no matter what brand of kibble it is. Raw is digested a lot quicker than kibble and it isn't healthy for the dog to still be digesting crappy kibble hours later when the raw has already been processed.

Also, feeding purely raw wouldn't have made your dog constipated. Raw fed dogs are only constipated if they're fed too much bone. That's why it's important to get the ratio right!

Doublechocolatetiffin Wed 17-May-17 17:09:07

Millie's Wolfheart here, it's the only thing that my fussy dog has always gobbled down. It's also the only food that gets her to a normal weight (from super skinny). I think it's brilliant and haven't looked back since buying the first bag.

CornflakeHomunculus Wed 17-May-17 17:12:27

Raw is digested a lot quicker than kibble

Do you have links to any studies which show this?

The only experiment into digestion rates I've seen is this one which actually suggests the opposite.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Wed 17-May-17 17:17:12

I love Canidae for my lot but am having problems with getting hold of it.

I also love Pure which is a dehydrated food that you rehydrate with hot water. Am very impressed with it and the dogs love it.
purepetfood.co.uk/

LumelaMme Wed 17-May-17 18:09:45

still be digesting crappy kibble hours later
This kibble is Gentle: it's as good as kibble gets, very very good, in fact, if the blurb is honest. not crappy in the least.

Kibble doesn't have to be crappy. I have a dog in her mid-teens who has done extremely well on a diet of mostly kibble since puppyhood.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Wed 17-May-17 18:19:21

Btw has anyone use Simpsons? I was recommended it as an alternative to Canidae.

livefrommysofa Wed 17-May-17 18:24:40

We use Millie's wolfheart, it's the best kibble out here, free from all the crap with good quality proteins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now