Talk

Advanced search

Help' dog not eating nor drinking

(11 Posts)
OrlandaFuriosa Wed 17-May-17 00:33:37

Took jrt to emergency vet Sunday night, was retching, trying to poo, not eating nor drinking. Was kept in, sedated, x rayed, attached to drip as dehydrated. X-ray showed nothing. Refused food. Was kept in another night. Got him back this am, pretty sleepy. Has done big poo: first a blockage then green liquid poo ( sorry).

Has refused delicious chicken and rice, water, since coming home at 11am. Occasionally gets up, but lying on ds's bed ( fave place) and not stirring.

Google says only worry if hasn't drunk after 24 hours.

Views?

CornflakeHomunculus Wed 17-May-17 00:48:41

I'd be ringing your vets (or the emergency vets if yours doesn't do their own 24 hour coverage) now, at the very least to ask their advice but to be honest I'd be erring on getting him admitted for fluids again. Once dogs reach the tipping point where they're getting dehydrated they can go downhill very quickly.

What advice were you given when he was discharged? Do your vets know what the problem is?

OrlandaFuriosa Wed 17-May-17 02:11:56

Thanks. They've booked us in for tomorrow pm and suggested we try him on chicken stock. They can't see him before then, full of emergencies. If he's worse I'll take him in come what may first thing, . I've managed to get him to lick about ten drops of chicken stock off my fingers, through politeness really.

He's sleeping next to my husband and I'm in another room now, he was sleeping next to me here but he moves for comfort. Poor old chap.

OrlandaFuriosa Wed 17-May-17 02:12:32

No, they don't know what the problem is. I think he's picked up an infection,

OrlandaFuriosa Wed 17-May-17 03:47:37

Just returned from vet. Got antibiotic injection and strong worm pills. Ddog ( d does not stand for dear nor darling but darned) decided to drink from water in car on way home and has now polished off chicken in dish, ignoring rice. Relief and rage are intermingled. Ddog has also decided not to go outside to pee as it's raining the proverbial.

Thanks for your advice: DH and I feel much much better now. So, clearly, does DDog.

BiteyShark Wed 17-May-17 05:29:58

Glad DDog is feeling better. Mine perked up very quickly following similar injection/worming treatment from vets.

DoubleCarrick Wed 17-May-17 05:38:04

I won't share my recent experience with my dog, op, as it might upset you (look it up if you want as there's a thread on it) but this has really struck a chord with me. If he stops eating again please please take him back immediately and insist on blood work.

Hope your lovely pooch is on the mend x

OrlandaFuriosa Wed 17-May-17 12:37:11

Double, thanks, haven't looked it up because would prob cry uncontrollably but can guess: was terrified here and DH and DS just didn't understand the implications. I'm so sorry. Hugs.

They did blood work: they are jolly expensive but thorough. But he lost weight, was listless but couldn't get comfy, refusing water as well as food, even chicken and chicken stock, so was v scared.

He's bounced back thus morning, barking at the postman etc. We are shattered, emotionally and physically exhausted. But happy.

DoubleCarrick Wed 17-May-17 17:50:13

I'm so glad he's doing ok. Give him a big hug from me and keep us updated smile i know that sounds stalkerish but your story has really resonated with me

Just to reassure you, it wasn't an infection that my dog had. Something completely different. It was just the lack of food that got me

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 18-May-17 01:06:26

He's here, more energetic, eating a little, drinking lots, pooing diarrhoea. And back to barking. Didn't want to go out in the rain, refused to talk to any dogs in his walk and was only prepared to do 10 mins as opposed to the normal hour. But so so much better than the fading away, in pain but otherwise semi comatose dog. Tail mostly in the reasonably happy position, asking for treats. Barked at the postman in normal hysterical mode ( but too feeble to bark at lodger).

So on the mend.

And will get extra hug from you.

God I was so scared. He was just fading out of life.

OrlandaFuriosa Fri 19-May-17 17:22:42

He chased a ball three times today!! And is back to being a badly trained animal trying to manipulate us. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now