Talk

Advanced search

Puppy biting clothes

(8 Posts)
JustCallMeBaldrick Sun 14-May-17 07:34:39

Morning!
DPup has started biting and tugging our clothes a lot yesterday and today.
I've been putting him in time-out in his playpen, and playing with him out of it as much as I can, but is there anything else I can try to curb it?

leighdinglady Sun 14-May-17 07:59:06

Just stand perfectly still with your arms across your body. They'll get bored and stop. If you respond by grabbing a toy you're giving him attention for it and it'll become a way of asking to play. I wouldn't worry though, they all grow out of it.

BiteyShark Sun 14-May-17 08:01:10

I tried putting a chew toy in his mouth but time outs helped more as he used to do this when in his manic zoomie mood and needed calming down or a snooze rather than a play.

What also helped was not wearing 'flappy' trousers so jeans were ok but not trousers.

Wolfiefan Sun 14-May-17 08:01:23

Puppies do this! Have a look at FB group
Dog training advice and support they have helpful files on all things to do with puppies.

NoDramasPlease Sun 14-May-17 08:04:22

I'd probably put him in another room rather than his playpen in case he starts to have negative associations with it, assuming it's his 'safe space'. Time out is the correct way to deal with this behaviour though. Alternatively you could put a long training lead on him and stand on it every time he does this.

JustCallMeBaldrick Sun 14-May-17 10:45:26

Thanks everyone.

JigglyTuff Sun 14-May-17 10:49:03

Turning your back on a dog and standing stock still with your arms crossed is a remarkably effective way of getting them to stop whatever they're doing if you don't like it.

Really don't recommend using the crate/playpen as time out.

SparklingRaspberry Sun 14-May-17 14:55:11

Do not use his playpen as time out. He will start to see his playpen as something negative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now