Talk

Advanced search

11 week puppy squatting every few minutes, infection or normal behaviour?

(4 Posts)
freshstart24 Sat 13-May-17 06:43:08

I have a beautiful 11 week old Labrador puppy.

House training is a work in progress. Poos are sorted. Wees are a bit hit and miss- he wees outside most of the time but has a few accidents in the house too.

Yesterday evening I noticed that when outside he is squatting for a wee every few minutes. Sometimes he doesn't actually see, just squats. I've not rewarded him for this so I don't think he's 'performing' for a reward.

Yesterday he also did quite a few wees in the house, mist of which were within 20 minutes of weeing outside.

So I had started to think he may have an infection.

He went all through the night 11pm - 6.30 am without weeing. So I thought he probably does not have an infection.

This morning he's back to the very frequent wees outside.

Could this be a behavioural thing? Or should I take him to a vet- our vet is emergencies only on Saturdays.

He is eating, drinking and behaving normally.

Sorry for the mammoth post!

Catinthecorner Sat 13-May-17 06:52:35

Is he doing lots of short wees or just squatting and nothing happening?

Is he excited to be outside? Might he be 'performing' to stay out longer?

How long do you let him stay out for?

Does he drink well?

It may be an infection (a vet would be better placed to tell you and I'd guess you're due a visit for shots soon) but it wouldn't be my first guess.

If he's cleared medically I'd start bringing him back in the house after he squats. Give him five minutes (on leash in house) and offer him outside again, repeat until you get a proper pee and reward with a short walk or play session.

MaitlandGirl Sat 13-May-17 06:55:07

If this was my dog and if there no sign of blood in his urine and he's otherwise ok I'd put a glug of apple cider vinegar into his water bowl and keep monitoring the situation. This is what I would do, but I'm not a vet (I've got a bitch with bladder issues and this is what I do with her otherwise she'd be at the vets every other week!)

If it's just a bit of irritation and not an infection then this will sort it out.

If he's no better on Monday, or if he starts looking out of sorts or off his food (which for a lab puppy will be very obvious) then call the vet before Monday for a chat/visit.

Is the breeder someone you feel confident could advise you? If so then give them a call.

MaitlandGirl Tue 16-May-17 08:28:06

How is the puppy doing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now