Talk

Advanced search

Dog Rocks - do they work?

(18 Posts)
DannyOD Thu 11-May-17 13:26:16

Dh is obsessed with his lawn and since getting our dog I have noticed urine burn marks on the grass. I have seen these dog rock things that you put in their water bowls. Do they work? Any other suggestions if they don't? TIA

Soubriquet Thu 11-May-17 13:28:08

I don't know about dog rocks but I've heard tomato ketchup mixed in the food helps to neutralise the acid.

But again not personally tested it myself

BiteyShark Thu 11-May-17 13:29:39

We have the same issue. At the moment we are trying to patch it with dog pee resistant grass seed grin

Ginger782 Thu 11-May-17 13:32:20

Lots of people agree they do work. They change the mineral content of the water (less nitrates going into dog = less nitrates coming out of dog). You should also ensure you're dog is eating a premium food and pop the dog rocks in every water source they are regularly drinking from. smile

BiteyShark Thu 11-May-17 13:33:26

Oh dear they wouldn't be any good for my dog then as he prefers to drink from any muddy water source except his water bowl grin

LumelaMme Thu 11-May-17 14:10:53

Tomato ketchup doesn't work.
I know, cos I tried. Dog loved it, but it made no difference to the lawn.

Bluebell9 Thu 11-May-17 14:14:07

I'm hoping someone has a solution. I'm moving house soon and would like the lawn to stay nice as the current lawn has loads of brown patches.

3boys3dogshelp Thu 11-May-17 14:18:52

They worked for us until we lost them

6AMisthenew8AM Thu 11-May-17 14:24:10

Dog rocks 100% work. As long as that's the only source of water your dogs getting. As soon as ours started drinking rain out of empty plant pots and bath water etc the burns on the grass came back. Plus you have to keep remembering to replace the rocks as they become less effective.

DannyOD Thu 11-May-17 14:43:15

Thanks everyone - will look into getting some. Are they one size fits all or do you get different sizes depending on the dog? Mine is teeny!!

6AMisthenew8AM Thu 11-May-17 14:53:18

Mines collie sized and I stuck the whole pack in (2 or 3 per pack). I would say it's 1 size fits all?

Ginger782 Thu 11-May-17 15:27:49

There are 2 different sizes available - but the larger ones would be fine in a small dog's bowl. The small ones in a big dog's bowl maybe not. It tells you on the pack how much to put in per litre of water.

Lucisky Thu 11-May-17 15:56:46

We had a new lawn put down a couple of months ago, and we have got a 5 month old poodle bitch. I follow her around with a watering can and dilute the pee. I think she thinks I'm mad! There are a few I've missed, and it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so dry. A rain wet lawn is less likely to burn. Our last dog was male, and it was the plants that got killed when he cocked his leg on them. You can't win. I expect I will get over having the lawn damaged eventually, but it's like having a dog pee on a new carpet. By the way, diluting it certainly works, but be generous with the water. Not much help if you've got a massive lawn though.

PoochiePie Mon 15-May-17 23:49:39

We have two large breed dogs, and our precious house was a rental - lawn got seriously scorched and we of course had to pay to fix it. When we moved to our own place, I put the rocks in their water bowls (you change them every 8 weeks or so I think?) and we literally have one small brown patch in our entire lawn - so success for us! Think it does take some time to start working, and you can't use them if the dog has kidney problems, but would recommend!

Shriek Thu 18-May-17 23:34:50

its what protein converts to in the body so how can it be stopped? I dont understand... would love to find something (again like others tho, our ddogs love the rainwater best)

Shriek Thu 18-May-17 23:39:01

also, you can't keep using daily fresh water or they won't work so well, you have to keep topping up the old water.

doesnt work with raw fed either.

BenjaminLinus Thu 18-May-17 23:42:44

It was the steaming lake of morning dog piss that marked our lawn. I now let him out to wee on the grass by the hedge first thing and the lawn looks fab. (it's our hedge & grass, not the neighbours)

Shriek Thu 18-May-17 23:44:07

best still, toilet-train ddogs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now