Advanced search

Honest opinions about rehoming

(8 Posts)
Blossom789 Wed 10-May-17 19:32:07

I posted on here a couple of months ago Nd had some very honest opinions which made me think- same again please!

DH and I have 2 dogs and a baby. We've made the difficult decision to separate the dogs due to their regular fighting which has increased since baby has been with us. We manage it at the moment as baby is not mobile but in a couple on months he will be and my concern is him being caught in the middle. The older dog is good around him.
Younger dog is an anxious but good dog too.

This is my dilemma- husband wants the dog to go to his mums so he can still see her his parents are reluctant but agreeable. This will add complexities if they have the other dog whilst we are on holiday or similar.

A friend of a friend is looking for an older dog- she's retired and has a holiday home by the sea and wants a dog for companionship. I feel this is perfect but Husband is very reluctant thinking she'll not look after the dog properly.

I'm being patient with my husband about this but just wanted other opinions. Is this new home a good idea or do you think we should keep the dog with family??

BiteyShark Wed 10-May-17 19:40:12

If you are going to rehome I would definitely pick someone who wants and will love the dog over someone who reluctantly agrees.

Do you think your DH is making excuses because he thinks that he isn't really giving the dog away if she goes to his parents so is thinking about himself rather than what is best for the dog.

AnnieAnoniMouse Wed 10-May-17 19:43:38

How old is the older dog?

Why does DH think the friend won't look after her properly?

Blossom789 Wed 10-May-17 20:14:11

Older dogs 8, younger is 7 (but still acts like a pup). DH doesn't know the friend so is thinking worst case scenario. I think you've hit the nail on the head biteyshark I'd not thought he's not thinking the dog is being rehomed if it goes to family.

I'm not sure how much to push it as I'm very aware rehoming offers like this one don't come up very often. For me I like to think of her going somewhere nice and being happy and I feel she'd get this with this older lady (obviously we need to meet her first).

MargotLovedTom1 Wed 10-May-17 20:16:33

I would rather keep the dog who is most relaxed and placid around my child tbh.

BiteyShark Wed 10-May-17 20:20:15

I would meet with the lady and assess the situation. If she is genuine and loves the dog then I would push it with the provision if she finds that she can't look after the dog for any reason in the future then you will take her back. Hopefully that will appease your DH that the dog will have a happy future.

Dogs are a big commitment so anyone taking one on reluctantly is not a good idea and I would be concerned your DH has been pushing that with his parents.

Blossom789 Wed 10-May-17 20:40:22

The dog we're keeping is great with the baby, it's the dynamic between the two that's tricky.

I'll try to persuade DH to meet this lady and see how we go, I really hope it works out. My inlaws are great and would take the dog for DH but I want it to be right for the dog not for us!

BiteyShark Wed 10-May-17 20:50:25

Your DH may be feeling a lot of guilt in rehoming the dog and thinks that it won't be the same if it goes to his parents. I would get him to meet this lady with the dog and maybe all go for a walk so it is a good environment for everyone to meet then have a very honest conversation about what is the right thing to do.

It may be more heart breaking for your DDog to suddenly be placed with his parents but at the same time to see you both occasionally. Equally if things don't seem right with this lady then going to his parents would be a reasonable short term solution assuming they are on board with looking after a dog.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: