Talk

Advanced search

Dog Toys Suggestions

(12 Posts)
LaFlottes Tue 09-May-17 12:34:28

Hi!
We have a 7 year old Border Terrier - we adopted her in September. She is lovely!
I work from home, so she's mostly got company all day, except for the odd hour here and there, or sometimes we are out in the evenings, but she does well for company!
I walk her first thing for 15 mins, then an hour at lunch time and then another 20 mins in the evening.

I just feel that while I'm working she's often sleeping or looking a bit bored. I've tried toys but if they make a noise they drive her nuts and she just wants to destroy them! She likes a ball and will play around with one, but ultimately then starts barking and getting over excited wanting me to throw it, which I do but if I'm in the middle of working it's not idea!

I wondered if anyone could recommend any toys that she might like to play with but not destroy? She's not interested in chewing rubbery bones etc. Maybe a puzzle for a treat?

Just to say, I'm not asking this because I'm being lazy and don't want to play, it's just for the times when I'm home but can't play as I'm working!!

Thanks!

BiteyShark Tue 09-May-17 12:37:31

Something like a stuffed kong?

Wolfiefan Tue 09-May-17 12:38:34

Does she actually want to play though? My mum has a Border and she wants a walk and then a good sleep!

LaFlottes Tue 09-May-17 13:20:41

Thanks BiteyShark - I do have a small kong, I had forgotten about that as I stopped using it as she had quite a lot of weight to shed!! I will get it back out. Any thoughts on what to put in it that's not too fattening and is it good to freeze to make it last longer?

Wolfiefan - that's actually a very good point!! I've got it into my head that she's sleeping because she's bored but maybe not! I just feel guilty that although I'm here, a lot of the time I'm probably fairly boring company for her.

BiteyShark Tue 09-May-17 13:25:08

When I work at home my dog spends a lot of time sleeping or dozing in the garden. I too worry about whether I am boring him grin

Unfortunately my dog is quite skinny so I use the squirty cheese for my kong as I don't have to worry about calories so can't recommend a low fat one sad

LizzieMacQueen Tue 09-May-17 13:30:58

Cow's hooves are good. Mine spend ages with one as kongs, even filled with frozen treats, they get through too quickly.

happydays2017 Tue 09-May-17 13:38:12

Banana squished into a kong

LaFlottes Tue 09-May-17 13:45:57

Thanks everyone! I have a lovely ripe squishy banana that was destined for a banana loaf, but instead I will pop it in the kong!

I will also look for the cows hooves. We have a nice little pet shop down the road and I think they may have them.

Biteyshark - glad I'm not the only one that worries about being boring!
She's currently snoozing away beside me....I tend to wait until she gets a bit fidgety and than that's when we go on our walk!!

I love having a dog....wish we hadn't waited so long!

LilCamper Tue 09-May-17 14:02:22

You can use part of her food allowance in the kong.

LaFlottes Tue 09-May-17 14:12:23

Thanks LilCamper - unfortunately, although she loves food, she's not that interested in her dog food - she was very used to human food with her previous owner, so it's taken her a while to accept what she's meant to eat.
She eats her food only when the real hunger pangs kick in. She's a funny little thing!!

LimeJellyHead Mon 29-May-17 14:17:56

My dogs love the Busy Buddy toys. Try their Squirrel Dude. My dogs don't like Kong but love their squirrels. It is nicer, softer rubber or something but one has never been destroyed yet, and Zena can destroy anything. Stuff it with anything they love and make it harder and harder as they get the idea.

MinisWin Mon 29-May-17 19:33:45

I'd second her not necessarily being bored at all; our border is 4 and he's the laziest sod out! He's been that way for at least the last 2 years too, so I'm sure by 7 she's learned to appreciate the art of a good nap! He does also enjoy a stuffed Kong too though, shame he tends to hide them in his bed where I promptly forget about them and discover them mouldy a week later envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now