Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I over thinking this one? Abused rescue dog and overnight dog sitter.

(21 Posts)
DailyMailDontStealMyThread Mon 08-May-17 20:37:59

I took Ddog in nearly a year ago, she is from a rescue and had an awful start to her life including being a street dog so never lived in a house before.

She was shut down when I took her in and it's taken lots of baby steps to bring her out of her shell, she is still very nervous in new situations which is a work in progress but generally at home with me she is life and sole and loves her new safe life smile

I had to go away for a couple of days 2 months ago so set about finding a registered dog sitter, we did a few meet and greet walks, home visits and all was fine, she stayed in their home and when I picked her up she was full of beans to see me and settled back into our home very easily.

I went away again last weekend and took her to the same sitter, as soon as we pulled up she shrunk to the floor and tried to get under the car and was crying. She used to do this all the time in the beginning and very rarely does now but it's not uncommon so I took some time to reassure her and eventually she let the sitter persuade her inside.

When I collected her she didn't greet me, looked very unhappy and once she did come to me (I sat on the floor) she cried and really lent into me. The sitter said she had been fine but off her food and had taken a dislike to one of the other holiday dogs so they had to be crate separated.

I used a covered crate back in the early days as a safe place (no shut door) just somewhere for her to go which she did very often in those early days. We haven't had a crate in the house for months now she sleeps next to me beside the sofa now

She still isn't her self, very withdrawn and it takes ages of 1:1 to get any level of excitement from her where we had got to the stage where she would show happiness as soon as she saw me.

I'm wondering if she just doesn't enjoy being in a busy environment with other dogs - there were 5 in total, she used to be locked up with 50+ In an unsheltered pen.

I'm due to go on holiday in July for 2 weeks, I'm now dreading it, I hate the thought of setting her backwards when she has done so well.

I'm really not sure what to think?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 08-May-17 20:41:25

Can you have a house sitter?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 08-May-17 20:42:28

I dont think you're overthinking. I wouldn't enjoy my holiday.,

fourpawswhite Mon 08-May-17 20:46:12

Initial thought was to agree with you re dogs. But why did she react as soon as you got there? Could you hear them when you arrived?

Ye I wouldn't be able to leave her there again. House sitter looks to be best option.

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Mon 08-May-17 20:53:37

I can be a bit precious over her so that's why I thought I'd post, thank you for replying.

Through sorry for a daft question but how would I find a house sitter, are there agencies to apply through. It's a great idea but it throws having someone in my home etc in the worry pot!

I honestly think Ddog just enjoys the peace and quiet of our house since everything she has been through. She is very loving, great on walks (not at recall point yet because she could bolt through fear) I just worry that if I don't put her into these other environments we will end up with separation anxiety issues but I also don't want to put her in situations that could make her regress.

See? I'm over thinking it again!

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Mon 08-May-17 20:55:02

Sorry four I don't understand your question, react to what/who?

OneOfTheGrundys Mon 08-May-17 20:57:10

We leave ours (both rescued) at home and our neighbour pops in as a walker/sitter over the course of the day. We pay her and she's a dog walker anyway.

Maybe ask around local professional walkers to see who their clients use?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 08-May-17 20:58:21

Op - a trusted house sitter is the best! You walk out, they look after your house/garden/plants/post/pets and you have a burglar deterrent. Your dog has the security of her home. We have two different ones, both found by word of mouth. Start asking around and see what comes up. Ours is £25 per day. (But our dog walker for an hour is £15, so bargain really)

fourpawswhite Mon 08-May-17 20:58:46

Sorry, trying to cook and type.

The way I read it was first time went well. Second time as soon as you arrived to drop off? She reacted and hid under car. Was that a reaction to hearing other dogs?

One of mine is very timid, not rescue as such but from large noisy home before mine. She seems to remember everywhere so nervous first time, OK second etc etc.

I don't think you are over reacting at all. I would be exactly the same. The first two trips seem short, the next one is two weeks? That's a long time.

I'm not sure about where you would find a sitter. I'm fairly rural so lots of local people I know, could ask.

There must be companies someone could recommend.

onemorecakeplease Mon 08-May-17 21:03:20

Definitely a dog sitter in your own home
Mil is using one when we go away next week. She asked on fb for recommendations of who people had used. I think she posted in a dog group as well.
Good luck and try to enjoy your holiday knowing ddog is safe

fufulina Mon 08-May-17 21:05:08

I don't think you are over thinking it either. We use trustedhousesitters.co.uk - you pay about £80 to join, then post the 'sit', which is all about your pet, and then sitters apply. They are all rated by previous people who have used them. You don't pay them. They don't pay you. There is a real mix, but we have had four so far - from as little as three nights to 15 nights.

We specify in the ad that the cats sleep on our bed. We want people who will be around and they must be animal lovers.

It is brilliant.

We have had nothing but good experiences. And your pup would be in her own home.

fufulina Mon 08-May-17 21:08:15

Here:

www.trustedhousesitters.com/house-and-pet-sitting-assignments/united-kingdom/

TheFlyingFauxPas Mon 08-May-17 21:09:27

Can you not take her on holiday? Or rebook a dog friendly one? We've found a lovely caravan near the beach to take ddog to.

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Mon 08-May-17 21:19:07

I'd love to Flying but we are going to Maui ha ha so I don't think they will let me pre book a seat on the plane and she is too big for my handbag smile

Thank you for the link fufulina I'll have a look now.

fannydaggerz Mon 08-May-17 21:31:39

Do you have any friends or family that could stay at yours if you need to go away?

Where are you based? Could you ask your vet to board her?

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Mon 08-May-17 21:59:47

thanks four she reacted as soon as I pulled up and opened the door for her to jump out, no sounds that I could hear of but it was an instant reaction from Ddog, I really don't know why.

The last thing I want to do is be too precious and cause anxiety issues but I equally don't want to set her back at all if she has decided she likes the peace and quiet of her own home I know that feeling!

Ylvamoon Mon 08-May-17 23:59:09

I fully agree, get a house/ dog sitter. Maybe ask friends/ family- someone your dog already knows and won't associate with you leaving every time this person turns up.
One of my dogs can behave in a similar way - not a rescue, just a very clingy breed!
Things I have been confronted with include, slipping out through the front door with me.... sulking for a few days in her bed, going absolutely crazy (jumping, barking, running through the whole house for about 20min)

Think your dog is telling you, that she would like to go on holiday with you! Would that be an option for the future?

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Tue 09-May-17 15:47:14

It's all sorted! I asked around today and a friends daughter jumped at the chance of staying at ours for 2 weeks peace from younger siblings. She occasionally babysits for us so knows Ddog and has taken her for walks before. Can't believe I didn't think of it sooner!

Such a relief - thank you flowers

OneOfTheGrundys Tue 09-May-17 16:01:46

Excellent outcome. smile

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 10-May-17 10:39:44

That's excellent new :-)

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 10-May-17 10:39:58

s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now