Talk

Advanced search

Persistent Fungal Ear Infection

(11 Posts)
GlassSeahorse Sat 06-May-17 08:10:29

I've had some brilliant advice here under another user name and wondered if anybody has successfully treated or at least managed fungal ear infection.

Dog is a 48kg mongrel, 3 years old, mum was a Labrador which is all we know of him. He has big floppy ears which are obviously perfect for yeast to thrive in. He is raw fed on Nature's Menu frozen meat with the addition of their mixer.

I've spent hundreds at the vets and have tried various ear medicines. He recently had his ear examined and cleaned under GA - within 5 days that familiar smell was back and his ear as disgusting as ever.

I've been given Otodine to clean his ears with and he will be starting anti-fungal medication soon. He's not in pain but frequently shakes his head. He doesn't swim. Vet has suggested an allergy challenge where I'd feed him cooked fish and potato for 3 months before reintroducing potential triggers. I am willing to try this but can't for a few weeks. We're going away and I think it's a bit much taking 20 bags of frozen fish and a sack of spuds to the dog minder and ask her to cook it for him!

I've read online discussions suggesting apple cider vinegar or coconut oil to treat but it's all a bit confusing. I was hoping for some words of wisdom from experienced dog owners, I'm a newbie at this!

Bubble2bubble Sat 06-May-17 09:05:21

I have a ddog very prone to ear infections which occasional turned fungal and have had a lot of success with colloidial silver. You can buy animal specific ones - not sure if they are any different to the one marketed for humans. ( I also use the same product on the dc for sore throats etc)

Are you near a pets at home?

They do a food called fishmongers finest, which comes in either wet or dry.

The wet is Fish (70%), Rehydrated Potato (20%), Vitamins, Minerals, Seaweed
The dry is pretty similar but with some beet pulp in. It's hypoallergenic and free from cereal, eggs, soya and dairy so could be worth a try.
I've got a labXspringer who thrives on it. (Although her breath is questionable!!)

Sadly even though she has giant floppy ears and is a swimmer, she's never had an ear infection so I can't help there.

GlassSeahorse Sat 06-May-17 10:07:42

Thanks Bubble. I was looking at colloidal silver last night actually. I think I will order some, it seems a great product to have in the house anyway!

There's a Pets at Home just up the road from me so I'll try that food. I put him on tinned (Lily's Kitchen) when he stays with the dog minder so I'll use that instead. I'll get a few tins later on.

GlassSeahorse Sat 06-May-17 18:10:35

I have bought Fishmongers Finest and ordered colloidal silver. Thanks to you both. Fingers crossed!

Haudyerwheesht Sat 06-May-17 18:12:36

Have they swabbed and tested for pseudomonas ?

GlassSeahorse Sat 06-May-17 19:34:51

He's had a few swabs taken and slides taken a few times that the vets have viewed under a microscope. Each time they say that the amount of yeast is unbelievable. I'll ask about pseudomonas when I'm next at the vet. Which will probably be Monday because his ear is stinking again.

CalebWomble Sat 06-May-17 19:59:49

My dog gets this too - I've tried various things over the years, and if I can consistently use Johnson's ear drops (I use the more expensive ones that say for ear mites) it generally stays under control. He doesn't like them though, and I don't do them every day. Around Christmas it had got really bad and we were both stupidly busy with work and couldn't get to the vets, and in desperation I started giving him some amoxicillin - checked dog dosage per kilo. (It was some just-in-case antibiotics that dh had had for chest infections which was about to go out of date.) I gave him a dose morning and evening for six weeks and his ears were perfect by about three weeks in, and stayed that way without needing cleaning. Obviously I cannot recommend giving your dog random antibiotics!

picklemepopcorn Sat 06-May-17 20:04:20

Is thornit any good for this? It's what I always use for my chaps ears. Seems to wrk.

Tamberlane Sun 07-May-17 01:08:55

Have they actually cultured and sent to a lab to see what drugs the bugs are present and what treatments they are sensitive to(generally expensive but worth it)or just done cytology-checking what bugs look present under a microscope?
What have they said is the main issue so far...yeast/fungal or bacteria? Or a mix of both.

Have you tried a regular ear cleaning schedule?
Ie if its yeast and you continuously deep clean and remove the discharge can help to manage the infections.

Is he up to date on ear mite treatment/prevention...meds like advocate etc.these can be underlying problems.

If its yeast have they tried treating him with oral antifungal drugs?

Many ear infections are related to allergies so thats worth a try as well but theres usually a lot more to be done to manage them as well.
However it helps to know exactly what your healing with when they are recurrent...otherwise you end up with shortterm fixes and the infection back within a few weeks.

SparklingRaspberry Sun 07-May-17 19:45:41

I second colloidal silver, coconut oil and ACV.

Dont bother changing the diet. Switching from raw to something else is the worst thing you could do.

It could be a yeast infection and so if you're feeding him potatos, the carbs will turn into sugars which will feed the yeast infection.

I would definitely use the above to clean and soothe the ears. Obviously it's not gunna work overnight but you will see an improvement!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now