Talk

Advanced search

Best muzzle

(7 Posts)
mckenzie Fri 05-May-17 19:15:47

I'm going to have to get the darling dog a muzzle as his recall and willingness to 'leave' is going out the window sometimes and I am unable to know what he's eating and stop him eating said item blush

I'm sure there are good muzzles and bad ones; any recommendations please?
He's a Tibetan Terrier, 11.5 kilos size.

TIA

mckenzie Sun 07-May-17 10:44:09

Bump

LilCamper Sun 07-May-17 11:41:10

Baskerville ultra. They can pant in them and still take rewards.

Look up muzzle conditioning on the kikopup YouTube channel.

tabulahrasa Sun 07-May-17 11:42:41

It needs to be a basket muzzle, they're the only ones suitable for use for longer than a few minutes, but which one is best really depends on which one fits best, I use a Baskerville ultra because my dog has a short wide head, you might be better off with the original one.

But, they don't stop dogs eating things, mine can eat with it on - slightly less efficiently and much messier, but he can.

Bubble2bubble Sun 07-May-17 11:43:28

Baskerville muzzles are good as they allow the dog plenty of air during exercise.
It also makes training into the muzzle easier as you can use food and pass it through the holes.
Don't be tempted to just stick the muzzle on and go, take it slowly and get him used to it - there are good videos about muzzle training on youtube if you have a look around.

mckenzie Sun 07-May-17 19:48:34

thanks very much for all the posts.
I shall go and do some research.

LimeJellyHead Mon 29-May-17 14:07:39

Our GSD is a dreadful scavenger. She wears the original 'classic' Baskerville muzzle www.dfordog.co.uk/baskerville-dog-muzzle-classic.html They are very lightweight and don't hinder barking, panting and even drinking. I highly recommend them. They also have a special insert in the front to make sure the dog can't scavenge.

She is so comfortable in hers, she seems baffled when she goes to pick up rubbish and can't manage it, lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now