Talk

Advanced search

9 week old French bulldog. Help please.

(10 Posts)
justme1122 Thu 27-Apr-17 16:48:56

Ladies. Long one I know. But Please help me.

On Saturday I collected my beautiful boy.
I have never owned a puppy before.

And quite honestly right now I feel I have bitten off more than I can chew. Especially at night.

He is a beautiful boy. Who loves his cuddles.
He wants to be on me or on someone. All the time. Which is fine kind of. But I'm not getting anything done.

Am I making a rod for my own back.
I have a crate which I hope I can use.

I am using puppy pads which he is starting to get the hang of.

Nights are a real struggle. He goes in his crate fine. But needs to wee all the time. I try to set my alarm for every two hours. But sometimes he has already wee'd on his bed. And I am now beyond exhausted.

Lots of people have told me to put a pad in his crate over night (as there is enough space). Things I've read contradicts this.

And when can he be left in his crate in the day (even for 10 minutes?!) do you go cold turkey? Or do you introduce it and how?

Because if I'm in and i put him in the crate he goes crazy. That I'm walking around and he cant come with me!

He has no problem going in and out. And sleeping occasionally in the day.

Some reassurance needed please!! X

BiteyShark Thu 27-Apr-17 17:05:32

I am assuming he is 8 weeks old in which case puppies pee all the time sad

Setting an alarm to take him out is a good idea but it sounds like he needs to go more often. Does he make a noise so you can hear when he wakes at night to take him out. I have a baby monitor so I can see and hear my dog in the night, would this be useful for you?

I didn't use puppy pads but others do. I decided I wanted to teach outside only once and not to encourage toileting at all inside. However, some people really like them.

From day one I tried to get my puppy used to being without me and gradually increased the time. Lots of people will not leave any puppy to cry but when I knew he was safe and did not need to toilet I ignored any crying until he settled and then rewarded him for being quiet. Again some people will tell you it will cause separation anxiety but I don't agree so you need to decide which technique(s) you want to follow as I think all puppies and people are different.

Please look and join the puppy survival thread on here so that not only will you have support but also you can see how different puppies can be and all the different approaches you can use.

BiteyShark Thu 27-Apr-17 17:06:35

Doh! Just seen you put his age in the subject. But yes at 9 weeks mine would pee lots smile

CornflakeHomunculus Thu 27-Apr-17 17:24:09

I would ditch the puppy pads completely, they can really confuse things when it comes to toilet training as using them effectively teaches the puppy it's ok to go inside.

When they're this small it's not uncommon for them to need to go out during the night, sometimes several times. I have new puppies with me at night so when they wake up and get restless it wakes me up and I can nip them out to the toilet with no fuss. Doing it this way means there are very few accidents during the night and I get the maximum sleep possible!! I put lots of bits of vet bedding (you can get whole rolls really cheap on eBay) on the floor so if there are any accidents they're super easy to clean up but at the same time, unlike pads, they don't encourage going inside.

With regards to leaving him in his crate, you need to get him used to it gradually. Crate training shouldn't involve any crying, distress or "going crazy". If he does any of those you're moving too quickly and need to take a step back to where he's comfortable.

I can highly recommend having a read through all the linked articles on this list, particularly those on house training and crate training. The FB group they're from (Dog Training Advice and Support) is also well worth joining, it's run by very highly respected professionals who use modern, science based methods and there's tons of great information on there.

justme1122 Thu 27-Apr-17 17:56:15

Sorry ladies ... should have added. I live on a second floor flat! Don't have a private garden. So can't go out unless I carry him. X

User2468 Thu 27-Apr-17 18:08:41

I found the best way was to let mine sleep in my bed and then he'd wake me up when he needed a wee. This continued until I met DH and he exiled my dog. Thankfully dog is very reasonable and now has a double bed in the spare his own room.

I think in the first week of having a puppy I swore off ever having children.

It also took nearly 6 months to house train him.

He's an amazing dog now though grin

skyzumarubble Thu 27-Apr-17 18:09:26

Do you have a balcony?

BiteyShark Thu 27-Apr-17 18:10:29

Oh dear I can see how being in a flat when you can't run out quickly can be problematic. When he is an adult where are you expecting him to toilet? Is there a shared garden?

KoolKoala07 Thu 27-Apr-17 18:19:17

When we puppy trained, we were putting puppy out every half an hour. Lots of praise for wees and poos. Do away with pads, they confuse them.
You need to remember though, a puppy is like a baby, cries, toilets loads and wants lots of company.

justme1122 Thu 27-Apr-17 19:25:14

My flat backs onto a big green. And is surrounded by really good walks. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now