Talk

Advanced search

Can I work and have a dog?

(31 Posts)
wanderingclanger Tue 25-Apr-17 12:14:21

Apologies if this has been done lots already. I would love to get a dog, but work 3 days/week, 8.30 - 3.10. The upside is that my place of work is 5 min round the corner though, so I could easily pop back at lunchtime (would not be until about 1.15 though). Is there any way this could work? Happy to adopt an older dog rather than a puppy. We also have two cats already, but I guess that problem is a whole other thread....any advice gratefully received!

VerySadInside Tue 25-Apr-17 12:17:07

I think you could if you are happy to run it round the block before you leave in the morning, at lunchtime and in the evening.

Better with a slightly older dog, maybe over 3 and not too high energy bree. A Puppy would be a bit mean to leave essentially a baby alone so much.

My mum has pretty similar hours to you 3 days a week and dog is happy enough. Sleeps all day. Lots of exercise is the answer.

BiteyShark Tue 25-Apr-17 12:24:31

For an older dog I think it would be fine with a walk before you leave and probably a dog walker (8:30 - 1 might be a little bit too long depending on the dog).

For puppies you have to build up the time they can be left alone plus they can't hold their pee and poo for long. I am out for much longer but I stayed at home for the first month and employed someone to look after my puppy at day care.

wanderingclanger Tue 25-Apr-17 16:17:25

Thanks everyone - any thoughts as to breed? I know it varies a lot as to how much exercise they need etc... I would be ideally looking for a dog who would be happy with an early morning walk followed by another at about 3.30pm or later. Thanks!

Ylvamoon Tue 25-Apr-17 18:11:41

Try the KC website and do the little questionnaire- this will give you an idea what type of dog is suited to your lifestyle.
Obviously, if you go for an older rescue dog, you will have to be a bit more open minded. They too, come in all shapes and sizes but might not be available / suitable for your needs.

www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findabreed/Default.aspx

allfurcoatnoknickers Tue 25-Apr-17 19:54:40

You can do it! I have dogs and work. I'd also recommend an adult rescue dog. We do loads of exercise before and after work and a dogwalker comes for an hour in the middle of the day.

I wouldn't advise leaving them every day from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. as I think your dog may struggle to hold it that long, but just popping home to let them out would be fine if you do a walk when you get back.

I accidentally acquired a Jack Russell, which I wouldn't recommend, but it might be worth looking into a Maltese or a Shih Tzu. They're both pretty low energy breeds.

EMSMUM16 Tue 25-Apr-17 21:37:19

I would research breeds & breed temperaments well, its amazing the difference between breeds, consider your lifestyle & what kind of qualities you would bond best with. Sounds like a slightly older dog there are loads that need rehoming but I would try to get as much info as possible because some rescues have issues, so you want to know what you're taking on. Once you've decided on your breed, look for rescue or rehoming services for that breed. Post some ideas on what sort of dog you're looking for & I'll give you some breed ideas.

wanderingclanger Wed 26-Apr-17 10:38:26

Thank you EMSMUM16. I guess the most important things are: not needing vast amounts of exercise (2 x 30 min walks a day?), and being compatible with children / cats! I have had a very brief look at some online questionnaires and they are coming up with things like Maltese / Beagle. Any views or suggestions would be great!

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Thu 27-Apr-17 08:51:28

I wouldn't get a beagle in your circumstances, I'm not familiar enough with Maltese to comment.

If I were you I'd talk to a couple of the local breed rescue societies. If you do the KC questionnaire linked above it could give you an idea of a suitable dog - I'm thinking an older Golden Retriever or even German Shepherd both of which are very chilled as older dogs and quite happy to snooze for hours (although other people may have different experiences!!).

VerySadInside Thu 27-Apr-17 08:58:57

I don't think a beagle would work in that situation! Personally I'm not a Maltese fan.

I would leave a dog in a house alone from 8.30-3.30, physically they may be able to hold their bladder but I don't think it's fair mentally, even a short 10 minute outing at lunchtime will make a world of difference stimulation wise.

For breed you could try a terrier, if a few years old they tend to be much calmer. You might be best going to your local rescue and seeing what's available, the perfect dog might just pick you. But nothing too high energy and I would avoid any working breeds as they don't normally cope well just chilling all day.

applesareredandgreen Thu 27-Apr-17 09:41:47

If you are able to pop back at lunch time and walk him before you leave at 830 this MAY work.

I say may work because although this is very similar to the hours my dog is left and he has been fine - I am well aware of reading experiences of other dog owners on here that their dogs would not cope with this.

I have a jRT but it's also down to the individual dog not just the breed so you may need to be prepared for day care if it doesn't work out, and also take some time off work so that you can build up the time you leave him, short amount of time to start with.

Also be prepared to give your dog a lot of stimulation/ attention when you are at home.

And I don't know if this helps but my dog sleeps upstairs with DS (teenage) so he isn't alone both day and night.

Lonelystarbuckslover Thu 27-Apr-17 21:01:28

I work full time and have a dog so it can be done BUT needs support. A combination of family, paying the teenagers in the family to drop in for cuddles and a dog walker makes it possible. I wouldn't leave my miniature dachshund more than 3 hours without some company.

It gets easier as they get older - when he was tiny he needed putting out frequently and they also eat four times a day when they are small puppies so there's that to consider. It gets easier when they are just on two meals a day.

Lonelystarbuckslover Thu 27-Apr-17 21:03:08

It does depends on breed though - my dachsie is needy. My sister has a JRT and he is on his own for long periods 3 days a week but has a dog flap and seems to be happy sitting on the garden stoop protecting his manor, which he does even when you are there tbh

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 27-Apr-17 21:17:18

Retired greyhound. Total couch potatoes. Some are good with cats, some are not.

Wolfiefan Thu 27-Apr-17 21:22:18

You definitely can't have a puppy.
Beagles are very high energy and letting them off lead is an issue
YY to breed quiz.
Consider size and grooming as well as walking.
Think about the jobs a dog was bred for. So a Dalmatian was a carriage dog and ran all day. A greyhound is completely different. Good run then sleep!
You could have a wait to get a cat friendly one!
Also research dog walkers or even doggy daycare near you.

Funnyfarmer Thu 27-Apr-17 21:48:32

I have a cross Jack Russell/border collie. Called a border Jack apparently.
He have a lot of energy. An awful lot!.
He's on his own for 8 hours someday. Not everyday. When we 1st got him he would only be on his own for an hour 2 at the most a day. But my work hours changed. He's fine. He has a quick walk in the morning and a good long walk or a leadless run. In the evening He's a very happy dog. I do feel bad leaving him for that long. I always make sure he has toys. He never soils in the house either. When we 1st got him I took annual leave to settle him in like pupternity leavesmile

Wolfiefan Thu 27-Apr-17 21:50:36

8 hours in one go? Surely not? Poor dog trying not to wee in the house. sad

MysweetAudrina Thu 27-Apr-17 21:58:57

I have a staffy . We both work and he can be left on his own for some long days but he can get in and out of the house through the cat flap so doesn't have to hold anything. He likes to sit at the window in front and -bark- the world going by.

Funnyfarmer Thu 27-Apr-17 22:08:38

@Wolfiefan needs must. It's either that or get rid of him. Like I said it's not everyday. 3 times absolute max. And it's it not like he goes racing out to "go" as soon as I get in either.

Wolfiefan Thu 27-Apr-17 22:28:11

I'm sorry @Funnyfarmer but that's completely unacceptable. Do you deny yourself access to the toilet for that long? It's really not on. You may have to work that long but you owe it to the dog to get someone to come in and at least let him out for a wee. It's cruel not too.

FataliePorkman Thu 27-Apr-17 22:36:50

I have two. Sometimes they are left alone all day but they are left outside kenneled in this instance.

They get a morning walk for a good 45 minutes and then if I have time we go to the park of an evening before the kids go to bed. Hard sometimes as I'm now a SP and even when my ex P was here he worked abroad 80% of the year.

They aren't hard done by. They are fed twice a day, have plenty of love and attention and I rescued them from potentially a much worse situation then they are in now.

Honestly though? I don't think many reputable breeders or rescues would be comfortable giving us a dog with my current circumstances.

Funnyfarmer Thu 27-Apr-17 22:55:57

@Wolfiefan. Yes if I'm asleep.
There isn't anyone who could come round to let him out. It can't bother him that much because he doesn't want to go out straight away when I come home. He wants to come and see me 1st.

Wolfiefan Thu 27-Apr-17 22:58:44

@Funnyfarmer
Not the same at all. Hormones produced at night slow down the production of urine. Bet you don't last 8 hours during the day.
He misses you. That's clear. Doesn't mean he's not uncomfortable or even in pain from urine retention.
I wouldn't do it. It's cruel. RSCPA recommend leaving a dog no longer than 4 hours. Any longer and you should get someone in. If you have to pay then so be it.

Funnyfarmer Thu 27-Apr-17 23:10:42

Do night hormones slow down the production on dogs urine too? Because I don't get up let him in the night either. Infact his morning wee is much, much longer than his after work one. And he really isn't in any pain. I'd know. There is really no need to pay a stranger to let themselves in to my house to open the back door for 2 minutes and close it again

BiteyShark Fri 28-Apr-17 06:33:36

I suspect a lot of dogs are left all day and cope. My concern would be that the dog isn't drinking enough to hold his pee for that long in the day and even though mine has access to water and an outside area for the toilet I feel much better paying someone to come and keep him company.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now