Talk

Advanced search

Asking dog owners perspective on this...

(323 Posts)
CheepAndOrm Mon 24-Apr-17 20:45:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nancy91 Mon 24-Apr-17 20:51:11

The dogs weren't aggressive and were playing with each other, and your husband picked one of them up by its collar?! He is an idiot.

NewDOOFUSfor17 Mon 24-Apr-17 20:53:03

So the dogs weren't really running at the dc were they, they were playing with each other...have I got that correct? So somewhat of an over reaction by your dh I would say.

Tbh I would be mighty hacked off if my dog was grabbed by the collar if he was just running with another dog playing and showing no interest in people around him, I don't think thats ok at all.

IF on the other hand I have misread what you have wrote and the dog was charging at the dc then it's ok to stop it. I always carry a lead as my dog seems to believe everyone is his friend but I understand not everyone is enamoured with dogs and if he was in anyway snappy or aggressive he wouldn't be off the lead in the first place.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 24-Apr-17 20:57:22

I don't think it's reasonable to let your dogs off the lead on an alleyway with a road at one end, and I don't think it's reasonable to leave their leads in the car. Lots of people are anxious around uncontrolled dogs even if an experienced owner would recognise that they were playing. I'm not sure I do think your DH was unreasonable.

JaimeLannister Mon 24-Apr-17 20:59:03

DH should have stood by the 3yr old and asked for the dogs to be put on leads. Owner should have had the leashes on him and leashed them immediately.

But your DH shouldn't be grabbing strange dogs by the collar.

DumbledoresApprentice Mon 24-Apr-17 20:59:47

Not a dog owner and I'm nervous of dogs off leash but I think using a collar to pick up an animal is cruel. The dogs were playing and barking but not aggressive, I think the dog owner was entitled to be annoyed. I don't think his dog should have been off lead but I also don't think that makes it ok to do something that could hurt the dog.

Asmoto Mon 24-Apr-17 20:59:55

The owner should have recalled the dogs when they ran towards your son (and if their recall is unreliable, the dogs should have been on a leash).

I wouldn't have my dog off lead on a public road.

There's some good advice on this website about staying safe if threatened by a dog.

GeorgeTheHamster Mon 24-Apr-17 21:00:33

"God only knows what would of happened of the dogs were bigger or more aggressive than spaniels."

But they weren't. Two dogs running into the park. If they were at all aggressive the owner would have had them on lead. Spaniels are very rarely a problem. Try not to worry too much.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 24-Apr-17 21:01:15

I speak as someone who cheerfully wandered around with packs of well trained dogs off the lead as a kid in the 80s. I wouldn't do it now.

Saucery Mon 24-Apr-17 21:02:39

So the dogs were paying zero attention to your DC? Mine wouldn't be off the lead anyway but your DH was a twat to grab the collar of a dog that was doing absolutely nothing, aggressive or otherwise, to them.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Mon 24-Apr-17 21:03:11

Picked it up by the collar?! You mean he strangled it?! Why didn't he just love your DC out of the way? It sounds like the dog owner wants expecting to see you any more than you were them and your DH handled it badly. They weren't running st your DC, they were just playing.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Mon 24-Apr-17 21:03:44

*move
*wasn't expecting

Haffdonga Mon 24-Apr-17 21:06:03

You are not sure of the etiquette? Well potentially strangling a non aggressive animal or breaking its neck simply because they are loose in a open space is not really the done thing,

foolonthehill Mon 24-Apr-17 21:06:06

As a Spaniel owner myself......
Dog owner is at fault...
He/she should be able to see and control dogs at all times, calling to heel is polite and respectful when passing other people. If they won't stay to heel then lead on in a public alleyway.
Not all people like dogs, not all dogs behave well. Even small to medium sized dogs are big when you are 3 years old!

Off lead running and playing in a park is fine, off lead walking to heel down the alleyway is fine, careering headlong down the alleyway is not fine.

Personally though I would not lift a dog by it's collar, standing between the child and the dog should be enough and is less likely to cause dog to bite or lash out. BUT one does not have the benefit of lots of time to make these choices and he acted on instinct,

The dog owner has probably got used to running them as it is usually empty and has forgotten his manners.

User543210 Mon 24-Apr-17 21:06:20

So the owner let the dogs off the lead in an alleyway with walls that directly leads into the park? I think its okay for them to be off of the leash here if under control.

It seems the dogs were playing roughly with eachother but not running at your DH or DC in an aggressive way (or at all , just in their general direction).

Your DH grabbed and lifted (Possibly choking!) the dog by its collar which would have been stupid to do if they really were aggressive.

Though they should have been more under control on the leash your DH was BU has he shouldn't have put his hands on the dogs.

Cammysmoma Mon 24-Apr-17 21:06:25

DH was unreasonable

GahBuggerit Mon 24-Apr-17 21:12:03

He picked up a dog by its collar? Like, by its collar? Up in the air........By. it's. Collar?

CheepAndOrm Mon 24-Apr-17 21:12:29

Aducknotallama Mon 24-Apr-17 21:14:15

Your dh was extremely lucky the dog didn't bite him. He was very foolish and set a terrible example to your ds.

User543210 Mon 24-Apr-17 21:16:36

Dh didn't know the dogs were only playing But you said in your OP that they were, he must have known to tell you that for you to put it here.

3yr old was on their bike so more difficult to shove out the way than to move the dog. Toddler was frozen in fear How can your DC be on their bike moving down the alleyway and frozen with fear at the same time?

I think grabbing a dog and hoisting it up by the collar is going to attract more attention of the dogs that anything else! I would have walked and ignored the dogs or politely asked the owner to call them to heel.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 24-Apr-17 21:17:28

It send the dogs gogs were minding their own business, I'm not sure why your husband decided to intervene?

If they were bigger same nothing would have happened, they were happily playing with each other.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Mon 24-Apr-17 21:17:32

What would I do? Not grab a dog in a manner that would cause it pain for no reason, that's what I would do. hmm

Or clap my hands and shout 'back you go, dogs'. Not assault one of them!

GahBuggerit Mon 24-Apr-17 21:19:11

Picked the kid up off the bike and comforted them? Stood inbetween with a reassuring hand on the kid? Stood inbetween and reassured the kid verbally? Told them they are just dogs playing? Ignored as dogs would have probably run off?

Anything but pick up a dog by its collar! Diverting it? It's not a bleeding Hex Bug!

CheepAndOrm Mon 24-Apr-17 21:19:15

Floralnomad Mon 24-Apr-17 21:19:39

The dogs should not have been off lead in that area but if your husband was concerned about your sons safety he should have picked him up not touched the dog . For an example my dog has a collapsing trachea , if anyone pulls on his collar he could potentially die ( which is why he actually doesn't wear a collar outdoors) , you would not know this before you touched my dog but that could be a consequence .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now