Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone fancy a teenage dog survival thread?

(241 Posts)
MistySparrow Mon 24-Apr-17 15:16:22

Maybe the people on the puppy survival thread would like to hide this one! Anyone else got their hands full?

BiteyShark Mon 24-Apr-17 15:45:17

Think mine is transitioning into the teenage period so would love to join. He is a very small cocker spaniel just coming up to 7 months and is starting to show signs. I had hoped it would be a while before I hit the phase but recall used to be great and is now hit and miss and he often seems to 'not hear' me anymore. I have a horrible feeling it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

What is yours like?

MistySparrow Mon 24-Apr-17 15:48:01

Yes, recall has gone. He may be getting a little better recently as I have been doing quite a lot of training, but he's better in terms of being focused on me, not with recall.

We go out to woods and open spaces and he gallops off, whereas our other dog stays at my side the whole time (bless her!).

He's still mouthing which can be scary for people who think he is trying to eat them grin.

He's over a year now but he's a huge dog so I think it will take a while yet.

BiteyShark Mon 24-Apr-17 15:54:43

Walking is stressful at the moment as mine also runs off far further than he used to and eyes up places in fences or across streams where he could run off to and I would not be able to follow. So far a stern no has stopped him but I am not sure that will last.

I am trying to concentrate on more sits and stays whilst out but again I can see him thinking nah! a lot of the time sad

Someone said this period can last many months even for the small breeds so I think I will need to stock up on the wine grin

MistySparrow Mon 24-Apr-17 16:28:06

Definitely grin

Teenage dog and teenager children quite an interesting mix in this house hmm

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 24-Apr-17 19:34:32

7 month puppy here who has just been doing laps of the house, do other pups throw their own tennis balls?! I have had to send teenage DS out to the field with her with a frizbe to try to calm her down a tad. Up to this week she has been the most calm, laid back, gentlest pup I could imagine. Looks like she has been lulling us into a false sense of smugness grin

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 24-Apr-17 19:39:30

Two year old lab in this house. Just decided that actually he isn't really on the lead at all and can steam ahead like he does when he's off lead. The constant 'stop, start, stop, start, bloody well heel you bastard' isn't having much effect at all. And then when I do let him off the lead he goes off like a train. His recall is ok so far but the minute it looks dodgy he's on the lead permenantly.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 24-Apr-17 19:49:48

Oh god yes, recall has gone up in smoke too hmm its far more fun to wind up geriatric labradors and their owners. Back on the lead for most of the walk which is not much fun for either of us.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 24-Apr-17 20:30:07

It's not, is it, when you have to keep stopppong and starting or have your arm yanked continuously? He's driving me bonkers. Please let this pass.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 24-Apr-17 20:30:35

stopping. Bloody autocorrect missed that one.

BiteyShark Mon 24-Apr-17 20:34:05

I am for ever dreaming of a nice calm adult dog grin

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 24-Apr-17 20:39:15

Don't you have a spaniel Bitey? I suspect you may have a few more years before calm comes into the equation grin.
I have pup on a harness as she was making herself choke on the lead - all would be calm and then suddenly she lurches forward and cuts off her airway. But recently she has decided that it is hilarious to take hold of the lead in her mouth and drag me for a walk.
I just caught her considering counter surfing ffs, she was a lovely pup last week, this week she is demented hmm

BiteyShark Mon 24-Apr-17 20:43:55

wolf yes that is my fear that it will be a long time coming grin. Fortunately up to now he is just a pain when walking but still relatively calm at home so hoping that lasts.

Ah yes we have had the counter surfing. First it was just food but now anything goes grin

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 24-Apr-17 20:47:28

I was so smug blush its just as well I love her dearly as it means I haven't had a sense of humour failure yet. Have given her a lamb neck now and she has calmed down enough to chew it for an hour or so.

BiteyShark Mon 24-Apr-17 20:56:06

Does anyone have any tips for getting back the recall that they have decided to forget hmm?

I am trying the 'better treats' for a prompt recall and also hiding behind trees so when I call him and he decides to look he thinks I have gone (stops him running off as much but doesn't last long).

Anything else that I can do?

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 24-Apr-17 21:20:17

The only thing that works for me is spotting the distractions before she does then keeping her focussed on me. Not easy when she would rather bounce around another dog more than anything else in the world. I have seen a book about perfect recall being recommended on here but can't remember the author.

willdoitinaminute Mon 24-Apr-17 22:04:53

So glad that recall regression is a teenage thing. And teenage dog /teenage DS is a bloody nightmare. I have tried allsorts to stop teenage lab from pulling and finally dug out an old halti that has been instant success! On the plus side, she is totally reliable with toileting and knows the indoor routine. Tells me when she needs to go out, and brings me my shoe when she thinks I need a walk.
Will only destroy things you leave out that she can reach and only steals socks. She is totally devoted to us and has recently demonstrated that she knows when to bark at intruders, Dsis visited last week arriving very late and let herself in. DDog ignored the car but was in full guard dog mode when she opened the door. Fortunately she recognised Dsis.
We love her to bits but hope she gets through teenage phase quickly. Unfortunately DS may take a little longer.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 24-Apr-17 23:37:14

There are many pluses to this phase over young puppy - toilet trained, no more biting and trouser leg tugging, able to leave the house for more than an hour without coming home to something having been torn to shreds. I love her endless enthusiasm and her happiness to see me even though I was only in the next room for two minutes, I love that she sleeps through the night and is overjoyed to see me in the morning. She no longer wees on the floor in excitement or panic. I love that she still doesn't care what order she uses her legs in grin. And that she stares at me in complete devotion as she goes to sleep.

Cocobananas Tue 25-Apr-17 07:41:26

Cocopup is now nearly 11 months and recall is improving all the time but we do impulse control training regularly and very high value treats for prompt recall. She is very calm around the house but bring part spaniel is still soo over excitable around new people and dreadful at meeting dogs on lead, she lunges around like a loon. Impulse control seems to have little effect on this. I love the way the pup suddenly comes out again like nicking DH s gardening gloves or his hankie out of his pocket when he is weeding and tearing round the garden with them. She is also teaching him to move his pile of cuttings or weeds and branches of that dead tree by carefully distributing them all over the lawn for him to clear up again.😁

Yokohamajojo Tue 25-Apr-17 10:24:01

I will join too, my Irish Terrier is 6 months and is showing slight teenage tendencies smile he is lovely and calm in the house although he has his crazy moments too. He will eat absolutely anything and found a bees/wasps nest in the garden! Luckily he doesn't seem to have had any ill effects so I am not sure what type they were, they were in the ground so could have been some sort of solitary wasp thingy.

Our flee and tick stuff doesn't seem to work very well either as I have removed 3 ticks of him already. What to you all use? ours was vectra 4D I think

BiteyShark Tue 25-Apr-17 10:54:31

I have one of those tick and flea collars. I got it for just ticks but it does fleas as well. It is the seresto one that lasts for up to 8 months. It is a pain having effectively two collars for him to wear (that and the normal collar) but I haven't found any ticks since.

jugotmail Tue 25-Apr-17 11:10:41

Let me in, let me in! Six month old german shepherd girl who we have had for two months. Initially a chewer as the teeth came in but pretty good however just lately I could cry. Anything made of wood is fair game for the new teeth, recall is a distant memory as she attempts to bounce on all in sundry and now I think she is coming into season. Arghhhhhh

Yokohamajojo Tue 25-Apr-17 13:03:58

Thanks Bitey, we may have to try one of those then! I also keep finding teeth on the floor and they look pretty horrid. I have saved them just as I did with the kids teeth wink

Thewolfsjustapuppy Tue 25-Apr-17 15:21:01

Oh no I am not looking forward to pup coming into season. It's got to be soon though as she is 7 months. We haven't planned this very well as she is so used to lounging on the furniture like a little princess I can't see her willingly giving up sofa rights just because of a little thing like bleeding all over it blush and I can only imagine what she will say to a nappy!

BiteyShark Tue 25-Apr-17 16:11:43

I have to say that is one reason I got a dog, didn't want to bother with them coming into season. wolf I want to see pictures if you do wrestle her into a nappy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now