Talk

Advanced search

Loxicom......is there a human alternative I can give my dog.

(7 Posts)
MaidenMotherCrone Sat 22-Apr-17 21:08:46

Poor fella, our vet suspects he has arthritis in his shoulder, he also has a prostate problem which flairs up from time to time. He has just been treated for this but the vet didn't give him anything for his shoulder.

We have some loxicom left from a previous injury and was wondering if,

a) it's safe to give him for arthritis and

b) is there a dog safe human alternative I could give him.

He's a 10 year old Weimaraner. Obviously I'll go back to the vets on Monday and ask again if there are no other alternatives. I hate to see him limping around.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Sat 22-Apr-17 22:22:01

Our old girl who died in February was on loxicom (and gabapentin) for her arthritis. You should see your vet, though, NSAIDs can have potentially serious side effects over a period of time, like GI bleeding.

Floralnomad Sat 22-Apr-17 22:25:11

If he's got loxicam and he's not got problems with it then I'd give that over the weekend . My vet also told me that dogs can have paracetamol and I'm pretty sure that he said my 13kg dog could have 130mg .

picklemepopcorn Sat 22-Apr-17 22:42:19

Human glucosamine tables are supposed to support joint health in dogs.

HuntingSquirrels Sat 22-Apr-17 22:45:16

The loxicom will be fine if you stick to the dose for weight.

Tamberlane Sun 23-Apr-17 04:04:07

Talk to your vet.
Ring and ask can you use that medication you have at home on your dog?
They will know his history, weight and current issues and if theres any reason why he shouldn't have the loxicam he was dispensed before they will tell you and either suggest an alternative or send you to an ooh vets if they arent open.

Strangers on the internet are not a reliable source of drug information.
whats safe for one dog may not be safe for yours.
For examply giving paracetamol to an elderly dog with an underlying problems(liver etc)can be fatal.
In a middle aged or young dog its less likely to cause issues but only if they are healthy Its not as simple as give x to x weight.

There are lots of options for pain control in the future though.Chat to your vet and they will see whats suitable for your boy.

tabulahrasa Sun 23-Apr-17 16:40:49

How long has it been open for? There's a time limit on using it after it's been opened and used, it'll be on the bottle.

If it's still in date - it's a fairly usual drug for arthritis, it was prescribed for him and the dosage is by weight anyway.

But no, don't give human drugs without a vet telling you to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now