Talk

Advanced search

Moulting

(16 Posts)
Mupflup Sat 22-Apr-17 15:16:54

This may be a really stupid question but do dogs moult round about now because the weather is getting warmer? We've had Ddog for about 4 months and until the last week or two she's hardly moulted at all. Right now I'm surprised she has any fur left there's so much of it drifting about on the floor and all over my clothes! She seems to be getting slightly lighter coloured as well...is this her summer wardrobe? Or do I need a trip to the vets?

Wolfiefan Sat 22-Apr-17 15:19:40

I'm no expert but my pup is moulting like mad!
I'm grooming daily to take out the loose fur. Well some of it! grin

Spam88 Sat 22-Apr-17 15:23:45

Possibly depends on breed, but our GSD definitely does! You could make another dog out of all the fur she sheds.

SparklingRaspberry Sat 22-Apr-17 20:49:30

My gsd pup is moulting!

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sat 22-Apr-17 20:55:07

Be extremely glad you don't have a husky. . shock

averylongtimeago Sat 22-Apr-17 20:58:45

Yup about now dogs decide to change all their fur. I have two golden retrievers. The amount of fur would allow me to knit a whole new dog.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sat 22-Apr-17 21:18:41

There are people out there who knit clothes from dog hair. .
confused
Why?????

willdoitinaminute Sat 22-Apr-17 21:27:50

My lab ( 16mnths) is going through first proper moult. As she is our third lab I invested in a Gtech earlier in the year. We would be knee deep in black fur without it. She still hasn't grown a full double coat yet and I agree you do wonder how they don't end up bald.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 22-Apr-17 21:28:05

Our 4 year old black lab is getting dandruffy which means he is about to moult. Last one was a nightmare and they seem to be getting worse as he get older. Dreading it,.

Mupflup Sat 22-Apr-17 21:33:31

Thanks all! Naively I had sort of thought there were moulting and non - moulting dogs, and that I had a non - moulting one so I was a bit surprised when she started shedding everywhere. I have so much to learn....

Whitney168 Sat 22-Apr-17 21:36:37

How old is she? Is she neutered, or has she had an anaesthetic for any other reason?

Bitch moults are more based around their seasons than time of year, usually happening around 4 months after a season.

Post-spay, most bitches will mimic the epic moult that happens after a litter.

Shadowboy Sat 22-Apr-17 21:40:12

We have a Malamute. She moults 2 x a year but for 6 months at a time the hair is immense. It gets in your pants, in your mouth and I found one in my toothbrush (the dogs aren't even allowed upstairs)

Wolfiefan Sat 22-Apr-17 21:41:38

What is she?

Slothlikesundays Sat 22-Apr-17 21:50:31

What breed is your dog? I recommend a ferminator. I've just used it to get a box full of hair off my toller. I use it every week and notice a lot less furry tumbleweeds drifting across he floors since I started.

CheeseAtFourpence Sat 22-Apr-17 21:58:21

Yes - definitely moulting time - well it's pretty much year round with a Labrador, but DDog is shedding more than usual. Spent a good 15 minutes hoovering him today!

acornsandnuts Sat 22-Apr-17 22:09:07

My chocolate lab hardly moults, I could stuff a mattress daily with what comes off our yellow lab at the minute. The birds are loving our garden to line their nests. Pampered baby birds around here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now