Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Saw a dog get hit by a car last night

(14 Posts)
ladyface69 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:43:24

So yesterday I was driving home from work, and stopped at the local shop to pick up some bits. I saw a large staffy tied up to a bollard right outside the doors, it looked terrified and had its tail tucked between it's legs. I walked past giving it a wide berth as I know frightened dogs can snap if you get too close.

Anyway I went about my business and when I came out, the dog had been tied up again outside a newsagents across the road, to a pavement swing sign (the ones that have the news headlines in them). As I walked to my car, a loud car drove past, and obviously broke the dogs threshold. It RAN across the road in fear, the sign being towed behind it frightening the poor thing even more. I hoped it was going to run towards me so I could maybe grab it's lead or something, but it ran back up into the road.
Two seconds later I heard the most awful, heart rending yelps. Poor chap had been hit by a car, the car carried on.
Myself and a group of people managed to move him out of the road. He had gone into shock, there was blood coming out of his mouth and he couldn't move his back legs. Someone called the police, who wouldn't attend, I called the dog warden and the local out of hours vets.
Eventually the 'owner' appeared, he did not even appear to be bothered. He said he was looking after it for his girlfriends mother. I have to admit I did get angry, asking how he thought tying an intact fully grown male staffy to be securely tied up to a newspaper sign? When it was clearly frightened?
The real owners (his girlfriend's mum) eventually turned up, they didn't have clue, and to be honest probably shouldn't be allowed animals. Ever.
I left as they were loading him into their car intending to go to their local vets - despite me knowing that that practice was closed (used to work in a vet's locally so know who's who). I doubt that's where he ended up.

Anyway, not sure of the moral of this story, except hug your pups extra close tonight, and never tie them up to a street sign.

fourpawswhite Fri 21-Apr-17 16:46:44

Oh that's so sad OP. Hope you are ok today.

I'm the other end of the spectrum, my dogs are my babies. Love them like people. I will hold them even tighter tonight. I'm so weird with them I don't even really like other people taking the leadblushonly because they constantly look for me. That poor poor dog.

SingingSands Fri 21-Apr-17 17:05:43

Oh god that's awful. I've seen the same thing happen near us but luckily the dog wasn't hit.

Are you ok? What a horrible thing to see and deal with. flowers

ladyface69 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:27:34

I think I was in shock to be fair, managed to put it to the back of my mind until I got in bed then kept seeing him. But I know I couldn't have changed the situation, only my own behaviour in the future. So though Boudi is only 5 months old and so far I haven't taken her to a shop with me and tied her up, I don't think I ever will now.
Not only because of what happened last night, but I would worry someone would steal her. She is the most beautiful dog on the planet though (in my eyes!) so that would be a real worry.

FataliePorkman Fri 21-Apr-17 17:31:15

I never take my two out with me if it means leaving them unsupervised (Rotties). They are friendly as anything but its a nasty world out there and it only takes a second for someone to do something. I'm appalled the police wouldn't come out- it's illegal to run over a dog and not stop. Did you point this out to them?

missyB1 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:35:35

Oh how awful what a horrible to to happen sad some people really shouldn't be allowed dogs. I personally hate seeing dogs tied up outside shops it always makes me feel a bit sad. I have a 9 month old schnauzer, zero chance I'm leaving her tied up anywhere.

Hercules12 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:35:56

Is it illegal not to stop? Can you link to something. Horrible what happened but I can't see why the police should be called. I never tie my dog up for fear of him being stolen.

Hercules12 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:38:56

Just Googled it and it seems you have to report it to the police if you hit a dog.

FataliePorkman Fri 21-Apr-17 17:39:06

Yes Hercules it is for dogs. Not for cats though which is disgusting

One of my old dogs was knocked over outside my mum's once and the first thing we were told was to contact the Police as her neighbour had CCTV and they would go round to the person's house and give them a ear bending as it was illegal not to stop.

CuppaTeaTeddy Fri 21-Apr-17 17:46:31

Poor dog,how awful☹️if never be able to forgive myself if I'd accidentally hit a dog! Let alone just drive off like nothing happened. Dogs are the best pets and I don't know how anyone can treat them badly. Or any animal for that matter. It makes me sad. Xx

Hercules12 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:53:01

It appears you don't have to stop but do have to report it.

pigsDOfly Fri 21-Apr-17 18:23:40

What an awful thing to witness OP. Poor dog.

Always alarms me when I see dogs tied up outside shops, especially small ones, they're so easy to steal.

FurryLittleTwerp Fri 21-Apr-17 21:59:51

It isn't illegal not to stop, but it must be reported ASAP. Hitting humans, dogs & livestock must be reported, but not cats & other pets or wildlife.

I know this because I once ran over two dogs that dashed out onto a dual carriageway. They were killed outright sad

I couldn't safely stop at the time, but as soon as I could I did (about 5 minutes later), & rang the local Police. I had already been reported to them for "failure to stop" by someone who'd taken my number. The Police reassured me I'd done nothing wrong.

ladyface69 Sat 22-Apr-17 14:43:06

It was horrible, my DP keeps leaving our back gate open as well and I've really told him off today because it's so careless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now