Talk

Advanced search

Would you take your child to view a puppy?

(17 Posts)
CarlottosWay Fri 21-Apr-17 09:03:53

Just that really.
We are going to view a puppy and we are unsure whether to take 5 year old DS.
Any thoughts, opinions appreciated.

EnFlique Fri 21-Apr-17 09:05:06

I would not on the first visit, you may decide straight away that it's not the right pup for you.
If you decide you would like to take it then I'd organise a couple more visits and take DS with you.

BigSandyBalls2015 Fri 21-Apr-17 09:05:17

Def not! He will fall in love with it and sway your decision

SavoyCabbage Fri 21-Apr-17 09:09:08

I didn't take mine (10&13) as I thought it had to be my decision whether we get this dog or any dog at all. I went twice on my own and they didn't go until after we had the approval from the RSPCA.

The rescue centre was a like a prison so I'm glad we didn't take the dc as leaving a dog there rather than adopting it would have been hard.

My friend bought a puppy after going to have a look at it as the place where it was living was so horrible. So there is that to think of too!

LoveB Fri 21-Apr-17 09:10:46

No, not at 5. Make a sensible decision and get the right puppy for you -
and then take your son when you've made a decision.

CarlottosWay Fri 21-Apr-17 09:13:52

Thank you. You have just confirmed what we were thinking. Best organise a babysittersmile

qazxc Fri 21-Apr-17 09:15:48

We were taken along as children when picking out a new puppy.
It would help to decide which puppy likes the attention of children and which shies away.
At 5 you can just say that you are visiting or going to see some puppies in case you find that the puppy isn't right for you.

PippaH74 Fri 21-Apr-17 09:17:16

Only if you are sure that it'll be coming home with you... once the kids see them it's game over!

Dottymum2 Fri 21-Apr-17 09:48:45

We did!! Mine were 6 and 13 and knew it wasn't a dead cert and we were just looking. Having said that we did end up with one from our first visit lol

BiteyShark Fri 21-Apr-17 11:29:38

I would not take them on the first visit as you want full attention on the puppies and breeder to decide if they are ok and the right fit. If you do decide on one then you can take them on subsequent visits.

SparklingRaspberry Fri 21-Apr-17 13:51:09

I would take them on second.

Wolfiefan Fri 21-Apr-17 13:54:13

I took my kids but we knew the breeder personally and I wanted them to meet the pup before we brought it home. (Only one visit before she came home due to distances involved.)
If it was someone I didn't know personally I wouldn't. I have a hatred of puppy farmers and they are bloody sneaky. I would want my wits about me to and would walk away if I had any hesitation.
If it's a rescue I'm guessing you still need a homecheck n

CornflakeHomunculus Fri 21-Apr-17 14:27:42

Not on the first visit but I would (if I had any!) take them on subsequent visits. A reputable breeder will generally want to meet the whole family anyway to see how well everyone copes with dogs/puppies and also to get a better idea of which puppy would suit your family best.

CarlottosWay Sat 22-Apr-17 15:12:30

I have no concerns about the breeder at all. They are local, known and recommended by the breed club etc. I have also researched, vetted and questioned them.

I will go alone for the first visit, although I have no worries about DS getting carried away, thereby putting pressure on us. As they are local, subsequent visits won't be a problem. I was just debating taking him to see how the pups reacted to him, and if one seemed more suited to him than another.

LoveB Sat 22-Apr-17 15:35:59

Personally, I think you need to concentrate and choose a puppy from the litter that is right for your family. "Right for us" would be a puppy that isn't the boldest and isn't the most shy. If your child fell in love with e.g. the boldest puppy, you might feel inclined to get it - and that might cause some problems down the line - although obviously it might not! All (well, the vast majority) of puppies will love him I'm sure so no need to worry about that! So I think you're doing the right thing.

Quokka12 Sat 22-Apr-17 15:41:31

We did with 6 year old dd - less the puppy I wanted to see her interact with mum and dad as full grown crazy cocker spaniels. We had both grown up with dogs but this was dds first so wanted to check she would be confident or if we needed to get something a little slower. Bobs is now a much loved family member - not the only puppy she saw and she survived with no crying fits but we were looking at dogs in family homes not rescue x

Tamberlane Thu 27-Apr-17 03:40:03

Only if your happy to walk away without a pup eveb if your son adores it.

I remember being brought to look at pups by my dad-lakeland terriers as it happens.I was around 9?10?
There were dozens of dogs in small cages and crates in a shed and the breeder kept giving us puppies(terrified still creatures who just froze in our arms trembling) to cuddle. It smelt terrible and all the dogs were yapping and climbing up the bars of the cages. I wanted to bring them all home and mind them.

We didnt bring any home and my dad had a chat to us in the car about why you shouldnt buy a dog from a place like that as your making it worse for all the others left behind. Its left a pretty strong inpression on me.....very anti-puppy farms!

However a few months(and a lot more research done on my dads part I assume!) And we went to go visit a lab breeder who talked us through all the ins and outs of labradors for ages and then introduced us to the last few pups of the litter who hadnt been homing yet.
He let us met them all then explained who was brave,who was a little timid..and gently steered us towards the pup we told home. A confident middle ground female black pup.who would play but prefered to cuddle and was happy to investigate us all.My brother wanted the boldest bravest crazy male golden because he was trying to kill with his shoes and bounce bark etc the entire time.breeder advised against it lol.
Jess was perfect for out family and lived until 13 with only slight oa issues towards the end.

The right breeder can make it a great experience.
The wrong one will stay in your kids minds forever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now