Talk

Advanced search

Missing my dog :'(

(9 Posts)
ilovechoc1987 Thu 20-Apr-17 01:10:04

I know that for some this may seem silly but it's been 14 months since my yellow lab passed away and I still think about him everyday.

I got him when I was 15, I now have 3 children, and I thought that when I got him as a little pup, that by the time he passed I would be too busy to really grieve for this length of time.

I was so traumatised when he passed away that I went and placed an interest In a little dog at a rehoming centre 3 weeks after he died and ended up adopted her within 3 days of seeing her.
It did help a little, but I still have this urge to hug and spend time with a Labrador (sad I know but true.)
I just don't know how long this feeling will last?.
How long did you grieve for your dog?.

SparklingRaspberry Thu 20-Apr-17 13:46:56

I completely understand OP.

We lost our dog at Christmas. Within 3 weeks we went and looked at our puppy that we now have.

I know it's not been as long as it has for you, but I think about mine all the time. Everything reminds me of her.
She was my best friend. I have the urge to cuddle her all the time and do all the things we'd do together and it's hard to accept she's never coming back. I truly do feel I will grieve for her for the rest of my life, it'll just get easier to deal with as time goes on.

I don't have much advice I'm afraid. Just know it's perfectly okay to feel how you do and it's not silly at all! When they leave, they leave a huge hole in our life.
flowers

ilovechoc1987 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:32:13

Thank you at least now I know I'm not mad, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog it's truly awful sad Iv lost grandparents but I would say losing my dog was worse for me. I just get flashbacks of when we collected him as a puppy and the first walk we had and I had to carry him back, he was so tired.
It's the fact that I will never see him again, and the last time I saw him was when he had passed away. I hope it gets easier for, I would say in many ways it has for me. I found the first 4 months the hardest x

SparklingRaspberry Thu 20-Apr-17 18:00:38

You're definitely not mad

And the flashbacks are perfectly normal. You've got to remember a pet is a part of your family and when you lose them, you grieve for them just the same as you would any other family member. Just because they have 4 legs it doesn't make it any different.

Just remember how so far it has got a little easier, and this time in 3 months it'll be even more easier.

I know where you're coming from though. It's so hard sad

BiteyShark Thu 20-Apr-17 18:38:15

My puppy is such a member of the family that I can't imagine life without him so although I have not experienced this yet I just want to say I am so sorry and be kind to yourself as there is no time limit with grief.

ilovechoc1987 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:57:39

Thank you dogs are so precious and they don't live long enough. Mine was 13 when he died, at home with my father who comforted him as he passed, it was unexpected, he only had arthritis sad

Vegansnake Fri 21-Apr-17 00:09:28

Mine died earlier this year...every time I see a dog like him it feels like my heart is breaking...it's so hard because we come home expecting him to greet us ,and he's gone..I'm viewing a dog tomorrow,I'm not sure if it's to soon...the family seem ready.i feel like I am betraying him by looking at another dog..did it help you getting another dog???

ilovechoc1987 Fri 21-Apr-17 01:01:28

Vegansnake so sorry to hear about your dog sad yes it did help ease the pain. It meant we were able to enjoy the walks in the forest and by the sea, and I still got my evening walk when the children were in bed.
Don't feel like you're betraying your dog, I always tell my new dog that she would have been Dylan's (old dog) best friend, I really feel like my old dog would have wanted me to love and care for another.
It's not a replacement it's an extension of love ❤️

Meeshel29 Sun 23-Apr-17 08:56:24

You're not mad. Dogs are a massive part of our lives. Tbh he'd been with you through so much I am sure, no wonder you're upset. ☹️

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now