Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Weakening Back Legs

(6 Posts)
Workingmummy19 Tue 18-Apr-17 15:13:54

My ex partner now has our dog, he is a Rhodesian ridgeback x Japanese Akita. He is 10 now. I have a child with the ex and so still see the dog all the time. My ex has said this morning that his back legs are giving up occasionally but he is in no pain it seems. I am so upset that this may be the end, however I have read that even though he struggles, exercise may help. Has anyone got experience with this. Can the vet do anything with him being a big and old dog?

LimeJellyHead Mon 24-Apr-17 14:52:45

Certainly there are things you can do to help your dog. My little terrier used to wear little gripper boots to help him with traction. He also used to see an animal physio who made him a simple set of leg elastics that used to give him extra feedback about what his back legs were doing. But definitely a trip to the vet, just to get things checked out, is in order. They'll check his movement, what he does if they stand him on the backs of his feet (does he adjust them back again) etc...

Good luck.

Workingmummy19 Mon 24-Apr-17 15:19:13

Thank you very much LimeJellyHead I will arrange a vet appointment. He is generally happy but I can occasionally see when I go round that he is a bit down

EMSMUM16 Tue 25-Apr-17 21:12:31

Try laser light therapy. Been brilliant with my dog who has arthritis in her back legs.

Veterinari Tue 25-Apr-17 21:36:51

If he has arthritis, he is in pain. It's just that most of us are not good at recognising chronic pain in our pets.

A combination of pain relief and physiotherapy could be helpful. He also needs a neuro exam to check his hindlimb nerves.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 26-Apr-17 09:01:06

No more long walks, or jumping up, eg. sofa 😄
Walks should become short, and more often, to keep him moving.
Coat in cold/wet weather.
If he does sleep in a dog bed, one where he can stretch out, or a thick padded mat type, is good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now