Talk

Advanced search

Whippet - weeing on his own legs by accident

(21 Posts)
Catgotyourbrain Tue 18-Apr-17 09:46:09

He's only five months - I am assuming once he gets a bit bigger his legs will be further away and he won't wee on them?! He's just weed all over both front legsshock

Does your adult whippet cock his leg or squat to wee? Thing is their legs are so long squatting is a bit of an effort - they take. Out half n Joe to sit down - it's like folding an umbrella wink
Maybe I could encourage leg-cocking? How?

Catgotyourbrain Tue 18-Apr-17 09:46:50

That's 'half an hour to sit down' iPhone fail!

Floralnomad Tue 18-Apr-17 09:56:35

I have a patterdale x , when he's out he cocks to pee , in the garden he stretches and even at 6 he occasionally pees on his front feet and if he hasn't peed on his front legs he invariably walks through the pee with his back feet - idiot . That said I'm glad he doesn't cock his leg at home as he would be peeing up everything and when the pees on the ground it's easy to water away.

CornflakeHomunculus Tue 18-Apr-17 13:42:05

My three all do a bit of both and even as adults they occasionally manage to wee either down their front legs or on their chests.

Cocking their legs doesn't help that much either as the angle everything is at means splashback onto their sides isn't unusual if they're weeing against something solid.

It just kind of comes with the territory when you've got pointy dogs. Keeping a kitchen roll by the door would be my suggestion grin

bluetongue Tue 18-Apr-17 15:32:56

I'm about to get a male Whippet puppy. Why has nobody told me about this before shock

Guess not everything about them can be perfect grin

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 18-Apr-17 15:41:49

we had a biggish collie cross spaniel who was FOREVER peeing up his front legs...which were very feathery and spanielly.....he had to have a wipe down and I used to trim the fur from his elbows down
The two GSDs we have now....one does a stretch/squat and tramples through the ensuing puddle, and the other one cocks his leg, so depending on wind direction he can be alright

...we keep a towel behind the back door for pizzelly paws and legs.

I am having a girl dog next time, they seem much more organised...mind you our first dog was a girl and she used to like to go on the damp sand at the beach but would be furious if a wave caught her.

StandardPoodle Tue 18-Apr-17 16:29:11

Been there, done that! (and he's still doing it at 2 years old). Old towels. Lots of. By every door.
It's better when he cocks his leg against a post or tree etc, worse when he tries to cover our old rescue bitch's wee on the grass.

Floralnomad Tue 18-Apr-17 16:29:18

I keep a pack of wet wipes / baby wipes by the door for mine , and I have to say he never smells pissy when he sits next to you .

Monkeybunkey Tue 18-Apr-17 16:31:54

Floralnomad I too have a patterdale x and he also pees very close to or on his front legs in the garden when he has a lazy wee (half-arsed attempt to cock his leg, more of a squat). He always cocks his leg when we're out on a walk though. I keep an old tea towel by the back door to wipe him down with!

Catgotyourbrain Tue 18-Apr-17 17:05:52

Ha @bluetongue at least the fur is really short and a microfibre towel will do the cleanup really quickly. He doesn't smell of wee grin he is gorgeous in every other way.

HurricaneHalle Tue 18-Apr-17 18:25:22

Our Whippet X always pees on his front legs and his six. Sorry!

olliegarchy99 Tue 18-Apr-17 19:59:16

my 'lurch' is like most pointy hounds in that he tries harder with the 'cocked leg' when marking but has been known to not put the effort in when it is just a call of nature. By either method he can shower his front legs quite effectively when he is facing the wind the wrong way and too much air moves in the stream of wee. Best thing is to just wipe down the front legs if it happens smile

LadyWhoLikesLunch Wed 19-Apr-17 00:59:13

My dog once decided he was just to tired half way through pee and just dropped his cooked leg and peed all over himself.

friendlyflicka Wed 19-Apr-17 22:27:47

My male Italian Greyhound wees on his front legs and quite often manages to wee on the two smaller bitches! Complete charmer

CornflakeHomunculus Wed 19-Apr-17 22:39:48

Oh god yes, the weeing on each other happens a lot here as well.

I've become resigned to the fact that it's going to happen fairly frequently with three whippets all simultaneously trying to cock their legs against the same lamppost/tree/clump of grass. Or, even more delightfully, when one of them is sniffing something and another decides to pick that very moment to wee on whatever the other sniffing hmm

friendlyflicka Fri 21-Apr-17 08:21:55

CornflakeHomunculus That is what happens to make my male IG wee on the females! Nice eh?

What breed of dog is the best design to combat this? Dachshunds? I would have thought sight hounds would be ok because they are called long dogs, is it that their legs are also long?

Foldedtshirt Fri 21-Apr-17 08:24:35

Eeww boy dogs
Wet wipes and towels.

angeldiver Fri 21-Apr-17 08:28:11

My male IG sort of does a half squat thing and pees on his front legs, he's 6.
It's an endearing feature of pointy dogs grin

MurielsBottom Fri 21-Apr-17 08:31:00

Sorry but it doesn't get any better. I have two whippets, aged 4 and 5 now and the younger one is hopeless at not weeing on himself. The older one is better at staying dry. The younger whippet tries to cock his leg but anything more than a light breeze and he gets blown over! He usually just crouches and wees now.

And yes to them weeing on each others heads! They don't seem to mind but I am constantly thinking yuck!

friendlyflicka Fri 21-Apr-17 23:17:37

And they look so elegant!

AnUtterIdiot Sat 22-Apr-17 12:18:23

My greyhound does the same. The vet says it's "a combination of poor willy placement and laziness". We get through a lot of baby wipes here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now