Talk

Advanced search

Yappy dog getting attacked

(4 Posts)
MarcoPoloCX Tue 18-Apr-17 01:19:34

My friend has a small dog that can be yappy.
She walks it on lead and only allows it off lead when no ones around or when her doggy friends are here.

It has been attacked by this other dog three times, last time being more serious.
The other dog heard the yapping/ barking and went for it. Not responding to recall.
The other dog blames the dog's barking and she thinks my friend's dog is being provocative.

My friend's dog is never aggressive.
It's a small thing that couldn't do much damage if it wanted to but it's vocal.
It has never been in fights.
And in all incidents, it was on the lead.

I told her to report the woman but she's worried as someone told her they might not be able to do much as they may perceive as dog as being the one to instigate it.... something on the dangerous dog act.

Blackfellpony Tue 18-Apr-17 06:20:18

It's yapping probably is it being aggressive to be honest. Just because they are squeakier does not mean they aren't saying the same thing as bigger dogs smile

Even so, the off lead dog is most definitely to blame and always is in the eyes of the law. I would report it as the owner obviously isn't bothered about making sure her dog is under control!

MarcoPoloCX Tue 18-Apr-17 06:50:17

The dog yaps even to friends he has known since day one.
It's not aggressive growling... he doesn't lunge or pull towards the other dogs. Softest of dogs and belly up if threatened. Never fights back. He just stands there and bark.
When he has greeted his friends he stops.
But obviously with strange dogs, he's kept on the lead and led away by the owner or greet in a controlled manner.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Tue 18-Apr-17 08:01:22

It is the responsibility of the owner of the off lead dog to keep her dog under control. The on lead dog is under control wether or not it is yapping is irrelevant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now