Talk

Advanced search

I learned something today

(13 Posts)
Kilkerran Mon 17-Apr-17 15:36:57

Early this afternoon we had to send our wonderful dog to the Bridge. I am beyond devastated and our house already feels horribly empty.

Up until today I hadn't realised just how big a hold of my heart he had. I knew I loved him but not how much. The grief is overwhelming and there's many more tears still to come.

Before today I was of the 'how can they be so upset? It's just a pet' school of thought. Sad, yes but not worth full on grief surely? How wrong I was and how bad I feel for that.

My boy is gone and having him in our lives was a privilege. 💔sad💔

dudsville Mon 17-Apr-17 15:43:40

Such a tough lesson OP. I know what you mean, before I experienced this for the first time as an adult (I did as a child but it was sooo long ago) I was simply wary. I could see the effect losing a much loved pet had on people but simply couldn't know it until I'd been through it. I'm sorry your time with your pup has come to an end. These are difficult days and hours. Look after yourselves

BiteyShark Mon 17-Apr-17 16:00:36

So sorry OP, they do become one of the family flowers

Topuptheglass Mon 17-Apr-17 16:26:00

Aw you poor love.

My heart goes out to you. flowers

WeAllHaveWings Mon 17-Apr-17 16:29:05

We lost my family dog when I was 19 and I cried for days (took 3 days off uni!)

Even now I, think I was just young and wonder why people get so upset over a pet. Hopefully it will be a while before I learn the lesson.

Sorry for your loss.

Kilkerran Mon 17-Apr-17 17:04:44

Thank you for you kind thoughts.

I feel wrung out now but in a few days we'll go and visit his grave and plant some spring bulbs if I can lay my hands on some. Then every year they will bloom for him.

Shriek Tue 18-Apr-17 00:42:34

flowers heartfelt commisserations.

Kilkerran Tue 18-Apr-17 09:18:36

I have cried so much in the last 24 hours. In fact I'm sitting here clutching his cuddly toy blush. I mis my boy so, so much.

Topuptheglass Tue 18-Apr-17 09:28:01

Do you want to tell us about him?

Nancy91 Tue 18-Apr-17 09:39:04

I'm sorry for your loss, a dog really is a member of the family! When my girl passes away I will be devastated. Maybe get a picture of your pooch framed in your living room so you will see him all the time. A home just doesn't feel like a home without a dog in it flowers

Wornoutbear Tue 18-Apr-17 09:44:22

You have all my sympathy - we had to have our lovely dog put to sleep on 24 Feb this year - not a day has gone by without thinking about her. We took her to a lovely pet cemetery, and on one of the headstones were the words "to the world she was just a dog - to me, she was the world" and that sums it up. She was a rescue greyhound, and we have just got another so that another hound will have the comfort of a warm bed and a good home.

Kilkerran Tue 18-Apr-17 16:26:30

Feel a bit better this afternoon, have managed not to cry for a few hours anyway.

The house just feels so empty and quiet. The postman came and it was his first silent delivery, Ddog always had to make himself known to the postie.

He was a white longhaired GSD and had just had his 10th birthday. Unfortunately he had hip dysplasia and degenerative myelopathy and yesterday morning he just couldn't stand on his back legs anymore.

He was a joy to have around, full of silliness and a big softy. He loved to be with us and preferred it when we were all together in the evenings. He'd become an old gentleman but still liked to be silly! He and one of our cats were best of friends, she's a bit confused now he's gone.

Our youngest DS grew up with Ddog and can't remember a time without him so is heartbroken now, just as we all are.

I can't believe how quiet the house is. Coming home is awful as he's not there to greet us. We'll get used to these things with time but I miss him so, so much even though I know we made the right decision for him. My poor boy sad.

StandardPoodle Tue 18-Apr-17 16:35:16

You have my sympathy - they become a part of your life and family and the house is so empty without them.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now