Talk

Advanced search

Is a vet bound by confidentiality like a doctor?

(10 Posts)
usernumbernine Mon 17-Apr-17 11:39:22

My relative has a dog that is sick and there are two issues

Firstly I don't think they are understanding what the vet has said about the animals condition

And

Secondly they aren't telling the vet the truth about exercise and diet.

If I ring the vet and go and see them and tell them the truth re diet and exercise can I also ask about the condition and get the right way of thing and will the vet tell my relative that I have been to see them asking questions?

I really do want what's best for the dog and the way my relative is going about things doesn't seem at all right to me.

Trills Mon 17-Apr-17 11:40:34

It's very unlikely that a vet will tell you any information about an animal that is not yours.

usernumbernine Mon 17-Apr-17 11:44:23

I don't mean I'd be looking for info necccessarily. More that I might go and say "relative says condition x is causing y" and "relative says xyz re diet and exercise" so that the vet knows in order to inform the vet? Does that make sense?

Mummysh0rtlegs Mon 17-Apr-17 11:47:49

I'd just call them and explain, they may at the least record it.

usernumbernine Mon 17-Apr-17 15:30:50

I probably will just ring them and see if they can record it - they're my vet too so they do know me and they know (hopefully!) that I'm not stirring for the sake of it - the misconception the relative has might be damaging for the dog. And the lies over diet and exercise definitely are.

Avioleta Mon 17-Apr-17 15:35:25

You can tell the vet anything you like. That doesn't break professional confidentiality at all. The vet can then decide whether or not this information affects their recommendations and course of treatment.

usernumbernine Mon 17-Apr-17 15:37:04

Thanks Avioleta that's good to know.

What I'd also like to know is would the vet grass on me?

Avioleta Mon 17-Apr-17 15:42:01

What I'd also like to know is would the vet grass on me?

If you don't want them to pass on that the information came from you then tell them this. I think it is very unlikely they would in any case - most unprofessional.

usernumbernine Mon 17-Apr-17 15:44:45

Thank you

SafeBet Mon 17-Apr-17 17:46:16

I'm sure vets have many owners lie about diet and exercise, they're not born last night so can figure it out. Bit like people saying they always stick to a diet and live at the gym when they clearly don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now