Talk

Advanced search

Please help me name our puppy!

(20 Posts)
Cydonia Sun 16-Apr-17 22:55:19

We're picking up our new yellow Labrador puppy on Tuesday and I can't decide on her name! I admit I've probably taken this far too seriously and have compiled a ridiculously long list which I can't narrow down. I also admit a lot of the names are ones that were on my girls names list for our baby, which turned out to be a boy grin Sooo, I thought I'd try them out on here, please let me know what you think!
Amber
Ivy
Iris
Pearl
Willow
Aster
Maple
Fenella ( Fen )
Violet
Primrose
Blossom
Hazel
Flora
Rosa
Scarlett
Winnie
Lana
Pandora ( Panda )
Martha
Peggy
Halo
Lyra
Elara
Vega
Nova
Margot
Nancy

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 16-Apr-17 22:59:06

None of those are very doggy names.

If I had a dog I'd call him Des.

I think you should call her Esmerelda.

millifiori Sun 16-Apr-17 22:59:12

From that list, for a golden lab puppy, I like best Winnie (so cute!) Panda or Hazel. But that's a long list so you're unlikely to get a consensus. Maybe see what she looks like when she arrives. She may seems much more right for one name than any others.

Leavemewithyoutonight Sun 16-Apr-17 22:59:13

Winnie, it was nearly our dogs name, it was that or Belle. We chose Belle. Winnie is a lovely lab name though.

Mintykins4 Sun 16-Apr-17 23:04:41

Put them all in a hat, pick one out. If it isn't right throw it away and pick again. I heard of someone with a dog called Waffles which I thought was super cute x

user1482079332 Sun 16-Apr-17 23:06:53

I second winnie

Cydonia Sun 16-Apr-17 23:12:43

Mintykins that's a good idea! I'm terrible at decision making so that would help. Also, I work in a vets so I don't want a typical "dog name" that reminds me of a client!

Dottymum2 Sun 16-Apr-17 23:16:45

Winnie is so sweet, can I throw in Mabel as well, I also like Chloe for a girl doggy smile (sorry not helpful really!)

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 16-Apr-17 23:18:15

Out of all of them I'd go for Winnie but if she were my puppy she would be call Dot.

GoldenFleck Sun 16-Apr-17 23:23:06

Winnie is lovely.

I wouldn't pick Aster (although I do like it in full) because you may find yourself shortening it to Ast and if you're out on a walk people may think your calling your dog/shouting something else...

Ylvamoon Mon 17-Apr-17 02:57:20

One of my dogs is called Nova- I love the name and it suits her (not a yellow lab but a golden Tibetan Terrier).

SpreadYourHappiness Mon 17-Apr-17 03:13:12

Ooh I like Winnie tbusmile I think it's the most doggie name out of all of them.

olliegarchy99 Mon 17-Apr-17 06:00:45

agree with PP - call your pup Winnie smile
I think all doggie names should be 2 syllable ending with a 'ie' although I will permit shortening when feeling affectionate - i.e. Win for short

Bellaposy Mon 17-Apr-17 06:02:27

Another vote for Winnie. Very sweet.

Cydonia Mon 17-Apr-17 08:10:58

Well that settles it then! Except I bet OH doesn't like it.... I liked Nova because it means "new star" ( I think ) and this pup is following in the paw prints of our old lab, who was a bit of a star herself. Some names I can't choose as they are the children of friends/relatives so don't want to offend! ( Mabel being one example )

Honkyzeke Mon 17-Apr-17 09:00:05

Narrow it down to Winnie (hands down winner!) and Nova (your favourite) and see which suits her more when you bring her home. I do like Winnie.

millifiori Mon 17-Apr-17 11:15:39

We all like Winnie.

ImSexyAndIKnowIt Mon 17-Apr-17 11:17:39

My dog came with her name already but if I had picked it, I would've called her Aster.

Cydonia Mon 17-Apr-17 22:35:22

Yes I think I'm going to leave the final decision til we have her home and see what suits her best. Thanks!

elQuintoConyo Mon 17-Apr-17 22:40:49

Ours came with one name (found on the street, given a name by the fosterer), then we adopted and gave her something a lot nicer.

But... She's often called Sniffy or Fluffy Sausage blushgrin as well as her real name, Alice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now