Talk

Advanced search

Robust collars?

(18 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sat 15-Apr-17 13:01:54

My Border likes to wriggle around and scratch her back on concrete. The problem is, she's ruined her collar! Are there any collars out there that can stand up to being rubbed on concrete? I'm reluctant to take it off as she has escaped before and someone brought her back home because she had her collar and tag on. We have blocked her escape route up but I'm still uneasy about letting her in the garden collarless.

Someone suggested a rolled leather collar, would that be any good...?

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sat 15-Apr-17 22:48:25

Bump?

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sun 16-Apr-17 07:23:34

My dog has a webbing collar from the pets at home 'rugged' range (which makes my family laugh as 'rugged' is not the word you'd use to describe him!). It's stood up to daily swimming but he doesn't scratch or rub so I don't know if it would stand up to that. However if it were my dog I'd be taking him to the vet to rule out a skin problem as that much rubbing would indicate very itchy skin

ihatetosay Sun 16-Apr-17 09:19:05

a harness

ErrolTheDragon Sun 16-Apr-17 10:02:42

That looks like a particularly flimsy collar tbh. We've always had either webbing or leather. Studded leather might work?

Presumably your dog is microchipped, so while absolutely you should have the collar and tag on, at least there is a backup.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sun 16-Apr-17 11:52:37

She won't wear a harness to walk in, she'll tolerate wearing one as a seatbelt but you can't walk her on one.

Her collar isn't/wasn't flimsy, it's a Rogz one, they're supposed to be good hmm

ErrolTheDragon Sun 16-Apr-17 12:28:08

Probably just looks that way as the result of too much friction!grin

I don't think a harness is relevant to your problem anyway. If I was you, I think I'd get a couple of not overly expensive but robust looking webbing collars, inspect regularly and always have a replacement available.

Wolfiefan Sun 16-Apr-17 12:30:36

I think a leather collar would get trashed in no time. A house collar and a different one to actually walk in?
If she escapes surely a vet or dog warden would scan for a micro chip and you would get her back?

Nifflerbowtruckle Sun 16-Apr-17 12:33:47

Look at the 3 peaks range in pets at home or the ruffwear range. They are a little more expensive but should hopefully hold up better especially ruffwear.

Bubble2bubble Sun 16-Apr-17 16:15:01

Mine have the flat Ruffwear ones and have been wearing them for years, so seem pretty hardwearing.

Rubberduckies Mon 17-Apr-17 08:36:44

All those saying about the microchip, yes it would get scanned but surely you'd prefer the person who found your pet just to be able to call you up or bring the dog back? Rather than have to stay some time with a stranger, end up at an unknown vets etc. It's also a legal requirement to have a tag, even with a microchip.

I think if he's rubbing it on concrete not much will stand up to that - id just find a cheap and cheerful webbing type collar which you can buy in bulk and replace as needed. Also second getting skin checked out or trying something soothing like a tea tree shampoo to see if the itching can be relieved.

Rallyaddict Mon 17-Apr-17 08:42:45

The Lupine ones are very hard wearing and come with a guarantee. Made from a webbing type material, which dries quickly.

It's worth remembering also that prosecutions do take place if dogs are found straying without collar and tag - Plymouth City Council recently prosecuted two dog owners for this.

Wallywobbles Mon 17-Apr-17 14:58:41

I've a cocker that's managed to dispose of 5 harnesses. No idea how but think rabbit warrens are in the mix.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Mon 17-Apr-17 17:27:19

I think it might be the collar that's irritating her, on the odd occasion she's seemed extra itchy, I've removed it and she stopped rolling around on the ground. We adopted her when she was approx 3.5-4yo, the rescue said she'd never worn a collar before.

Thanks Rally but I do know the law, plus I don't intend to let her roam outside naked ;)

ErrolTheDragon Mon 17-Apr-17 18:30:45

How about trying something different for lounging in the garden - as an experiment maybe a cloth bandana - you could write the contact details on with a sharpie maybe for the experiment, before getting a second tag?

LizzieMacQueen Tue 18-Apr-17 09:50:30

Have a look at Ezydog collars, that's what our dogs wear, they have a soft inside that your dog might not object to.

Nifflerbowtruckle Tue 18-Apr-17 11:08:41

You could always remove the collar on a night so her neck gets a break and make sure if it's wet when you get home it's taken off so she can dry properly it should help with the itching.

LimeJellyHead Mon 24-Apr-17 15:02:41

I'm a fan of EzyDog and Ruffwear collars too. My friend's active little Springer, Nellie, wears the Ruffwear Knot-a-Collar www.dfordog.co.uk/ruffwear-knot-a-collar.html and I immediately thought of your dog. It's very durable as it is climbing rope and it sits low on the neck so may relieve any rub from traditional collars on the neck area for your dog.

I'll see if I have a pic of Nellie in hers. I'm really rather taken with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now