Talk

Advanced search

How much do you pay for an annual booster?

(12 Posts)
MrsTeller Fri 14-Apr-17 21:06:28

Just that really, I'm in a healthy pet club with the vets and just trying to work out if it's good value for money or not.

Pollydonia Fri 14-Apr-17 21:10:57

£23 , had our boy's done this week.

MrsTeller Fri 14-Apr-17 21:34:49

Hmmm I really don't think I'm getting my money's worth then, unless your vet is unusually reasonable pollydonia this club is something my ex joined and paid for, I've taken it over but it seems expensive for what I get.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Fri 14-Apr-17 21:42:28

Most boosters only need to be given every three years, it's just lepto every year. Does the club cover glee and worming? The cost of those does depend on the size of the dog but they could be a monthly cost saving?

Pollydonia Fri 14-Apr-17 21:46:21

That is yearly for boosters and health check . Doesn't include kennel cough.

MrsTeller Fri 14-Apr-17 21:50:15

It does cover flea and worming as well as the booster, it's £10.99 a month, so £131.88 a year, if a booster is only £23, that's £108.88 for flea treatment and worming.

MrsTeller Fri 14-Apr-17 21:52:10

I think the saving is slight at best, so the advantage is paying it in small monthly amounts. I need to give it some thought.

Cinderellamovedout Sat 15-Apr-17 12:33:29

I pay £35 for boosters and health check
£27.50 for 3 pipettes flea prevention (x4 a year)
£11.50 for 2 worming tablets (x2 a year)

(Lhasa Apso)

That's £168.80 a year so would basically be free booster and health check for us.

LimeJellyHead Mon 24-Apr-17 15:14:55

I don't know about booster costs but just wanted to say that dogs should not have an annual booster any more. The recommendation is every 3-4 years for core-vaccinations (if the non-core vaccination for Lepto is required, that is the only one that would have to be yearly).

nellieellie Mon 24-Apr-17 19:28:55

Yes, both WSAVA (world small animal veterinarian assoc) and BSAVA - and the vaccine manufacturers now say only every 3 years for all except leptospirosis. So, if your vet is telling you to have yearly, they are wrong.( In truth these vaccines confer immunity for most of a dog's life.)

MarcoPoloCX Mon 24-Apr-17 20:30:59

£35 for annual booster and check up.
Then I get a prescription note for a year's worth of advocate. £10 for prescription note and about £50 for the advocate.
Then four Drontal tablets, say £10.
That's £105 a year.
My dog is around 9.5kg.

MarcoPoloCX Mon 24-Apr-17 20:37:34

My vet also does a Health plan.
But it concludes kennel cough vaccine which my dogs don't have and things like dental chews or toothpaste which I have plenty.
They also add their own food in there but my dogs are raw fed.
So for me it doesn't save me money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now