Talk

Advanced search

Become too attached to foster puppies

(12 Posts)
AllIsSonny Tue 11-Apr-17 17:30:50

We have three dogs, a rescue Cavachon, Holly, a rescue Yorkiepoo, Ava, and a rescue Goldendoodle, Sam. We didn't particularly set out looking for mutts or any particular breed but those dogs are what we were placed with and what we love!
We haven't really expressed any interest in getting another dog as I've been loving life with our three. We did however agree to fostering some dogs. So, three months ago, the rescue rang us and said that they had a litter of Cavachon puppies and we've been fostering two of them, a boy and a girl. I've become really, really attached and I honestly don't know what to do. The rescue rang us about arranging some more visits with potential adopters and my heart just broke.
We've named them Maggie and Milo and my kids adore them. I just need to know what you would do in my situation.

RitzyMcFee Tue 11-Apr-17 17:34:55

I would let them be adopted I think. As five dogs is a lot of dogs.

Patriciathestripper1 Tue 11-Apr-17 17:36:52

What's two more dogs...? I'd keep them. At least they get to stay together.

MrsJayy Tue 11-Apr-17 17:37:31

I would let them be adopted too the children will be ok and so will you maybe fostering wasn't for you I can see how you are attached to them

MrsJayy Tue 11-Apr-17 17:38:48

What if you kept them fostered again then ended up with a pack

CornflakeHomunculus Tue 11-Apr-17 17:41:48

Would you consider keeping one and letting the other be adopted? I would do either that or let them both go.

Keeping both could be a recipe for disaster, there's a very good reason why it's not recommended to get two puppies from the same litter. Have a read of this article about "littermate syndrome".

Some people do get two puppies and make it work however it's best for their development to be split up and go to separate homes at the appropriate age.

CMOTDibbler Tue 11-Apr-17 17:43:12

You need to let them go - you couldn't adopt them both (see littermate syndrome), and they need the attention of someone with less dogs.

I know you get attached, but its part of fostering. I love seeing 'my' puppies moving on in the world, though they aren't usually with us for long as its best to get them rehomed asap once weaned from mum and well

Bubble2bubble Tue 11-Apr-17 20:49:57

You just can't keep two, you know you can't.
Keeping one might be a possibility, but then would you be sad because you can't foster any more?
Of course you fall in love with them, it's only normal, but part of the joy of fostering is later seeing them settle in their new homes and getting more attention than you can give because you already have three dogs.

I have two foster puppies here at the moment. I adore them, they are incredibly easy pups, just gorgeous. They are sweet and cuddly and stick to me like glue on their walks and they have learnt so ,much in the time that they are here. They now urgently need to be separated as you can see the littermate problems emerging. My own dogs are very tolerant and actually quite like them, but honestly I think they will be glad of a quieter life when they go smile
Do your dogs love these puppies as much as you do?

fannydaggerz Tue 11-Apr-17 21:10:28

I have 4 dogs. I would keep them if you can afford to. I don't think having 5 would be a problem.

Wolfiefan Tue 11-Apr-17 21:12:15

Litter mate syndrome is a real risk. I have heard of people who make it work but only if there are two adults so each pup has one adult just to work with it.
I couldn't choose just one to keep. I know I couldn't. Can you opt to stay in touch with new owners?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 11-Apr-17 21:13:52

My friend has 6 rescue dogs. She's fine with them all. So I say, keep them.

Vegansnake Tue 11-Apr-17 21:16:23

I'm waiting to be assed to foster at the moment.everything I've read says you can't adopt the ones your fostering if a family have decided they want them...is that the same with your charity??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now